Wait till you get a load of this.....

Is this legal?

• Total voters

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
This is what it looks like when I move from one job to another. I still have a little work to do to make it like I want. I have pulled it 7000k mi with no worries.

Attachments

• DSCN0154.JPG
    DSCN0154.JPG
    966.9 KB · Views: 414

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
A rolling shop and bunkhouse to boot ;Sweet
Damn redneck's dream is what that is :D :hail

I don't see any legal issues but then again I'm not D.O.T LOL
No diff than semi doubles .........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you hold a class A(doubles&triples) you're good. There's no law that says how long each segment may be. You will need to be a really good skinner to back that mess up though. Unfortunately, if you are going off roading with the train, the butt may be missing a few inches when you get to where you'll be setting up for the evening...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
They actually sell a unit like that so that SUV's can haul a 5th wheel. Here in indiana they have a couple of rules on towing two trailers at once...

1st being did you pay your fees associated with both trailers (plates and excise taxes)

2nd - do you feel safe driving it...

If you answered yes to at least the first one then you're good to go... We pulled doubles all last year - 31ft TT and 10ft Wave runner or 14ft fishing boat... it's actually not as hard to back up as everyone makes it sound... I have backed our combo into some pretty tight spots at campgrounds... all you have to do is THINK about what you're doing before you do it and don't jerk the wheel and it goes right where you want it... Don't know how many times when I crawled out out of the cab that guys in other campsites were clapping and hooting... Oh yeah I'm the man as I try to act like I wanted the wave runner in that spot instead of 10 feet over...LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
goatboy-
that fifthwheel dolly is no fun to keep in line when backing up. When you are dealing with long kingpin to axle lengths, the ability to keep the whole mess going where you want to go is easier. As a rule of thumb, if you are towing something shorter than your power unit, you got your work cut out for you.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
goatboy-
that fifthwheel dolly is no fun to keep in line when backing up. When you are dealing with long kingpin to axle lengths, the ability to keep the whole mess going where you want to go is easier. As a rule of thumb, if you are towing something shorter than your power unit, you got your work cut out for you.

Boy you got that right!!! I have a little factory 5 X 8 foot trailer that I use to haul firewood for the club or an ATV and such, it is a pain in the rear to back, wants to pivot way too quick. The 20 foot tandem 14,000 GVW tows like a dream. I can back it on a dime and give you change, but that little trailer, well, I own a small farm and use most of it to get the dang thing parked in the driveway!!! :)

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Well I dont have ant trouble backing it and it pulls great, although the T444E (powerchoke diesel) doesn't really like the hills. The pic is actualy taken in a hole and it doesn't really look that bad going down the road. I just have to get back to civilization so I can find some 22.5" wheels and low pro tires. That will get my hitch down to 46" and be perfect. Right now we are patiently waiting on the INT'L dealer at Grand Junction to finish my truck ( bad brake problems), so we can go to Houston. Thats only 1200mi from here!

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's with the apparent lack of ground clearance on the back end of the fifthwheel? Does it drag on the asphalt on dips in the road?

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Look carefully at the pic, the trailer is in a hole. I will find another pic to post to show that it isnt that bad. I need to lose about 4" at the 5th wheel. I actually have the time to do it now but I dont have my truck and am not at home. Lovely how that works out.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Pretty nice setup. The 5'er is nice. But, wouldn't it just be easier to get a little smaller TT? I've seen 24' Tow Behinds.

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
That is not doubles it is one trailer with a converter dolly under it. Up here when we pull doubles we have a 45' or 53' foot trailer in the lead with another 45' or 37' for a tail. The tail trailer is coupled up with a converter dolly and is considered part of the tail trailer. Same setup as a pup trailer with a turn-table but a converter dolly is removable. The setup you have would be 100% legal up here..