W80: keeping it mixed

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I plan to blend around 10% this time. 15-20% is very common. 15w-40 is way too thick to run straight.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember too that you're really trying to replicate the viscosity of diesel. You will never get there by thinning with diesel. Gas is a better choice.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Thanks man. The fuge just aint spinnin up but dont have it cut with anything yet. Was going to just before putting it in the pickup, but dont think that'll work
10% RUG and crossed fingers

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh ok. Yeah, I would start cutting with 10-20% gas while fuging. That's what I have always done and seems to be common practice. You could probably dial the D2 percentage back a little if you want to keep your total WMO percentage at 50%.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally going with this stuff.

Had to replace pump and bushings in the centrifuge and running good now.

Drove to work today on free fuel. Working great so far.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically, we blend by half filling the 'fuge drum... Adding 5 gallons of gas... Then filling the drum to ~ 2" under the flange. Fuge' spins up nice and the trucks drink it from early spring til late fall. I'd go heavier on the RUG during cooler months for sure.

Run the 'fuge at 90-95psi and it sings right along. Our oil stock is a bit of everything from 80w90 to hydraulic oil... It's all mixed in totes and sits for months. Drain the water ever so often. Sitting on 1600 gallons at the moment.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw... Your setup looks IDENTICAL to my '75 240d.

Careful... Some reason, mine liked to easily coke injectors. It hasn't been ran in a while now because it needs injectors BAD. Think I'm gonna build a set with bosio nozzles. We'll see one of these days.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Typically, we blend by half filling the 'fuge drum... Adding 5 gallons of gas... Then filling the drum to ~ 2" under the flange. Fuge' spins up nice and the trucks drink it from early spring til late fall. I'd go heavier on the RUG during cooler months for sure.

Run the 'fuge at 90-95psi and it sings right along. Our oil stock is a bit of everything from 80w90 to hydraulic oil... It's all mixed in totes and sits for months. Drain the water ever so often. Sitting on 1600 gallons at the moment.
;Really 1,600 gallon holy smokes!
Blend the W85 with diesel at all? Or just start up on diesel n run straight w85 after things warm up

shawn deere

Reaction score
Got the fuge spinning today, progress has been made! One drum is cut to W85 and seems a little thick yet. The other is W90 - needs more gas for sure.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw... Your setup looks IDENTICAL to my '75 240d.

Careful... Some reason, mine liked to easily coke injectors. It hasn't been ran in a while now because it needs injectors BAD. Think I'm gonna build a set with bosio nozzles. We'll see one of these days.

Any idea why? Even with the two tank setup? Really trying to avoid that. I'm hoping running homemade fuel almost exclusively on the highway and all of my around town driving being done on diesel with Power Service mixed in will help. Though it sounds like that's what you did... and are still having issues?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My injectors were unknown mileage and such... I was running a flat plate heat exchanger and injector line heaters.

I think my mistake was some short trips... after that, it went down hill. NEVER make short trips on oil... engine doesnt get warm enough for complete combustion. I'd say that was 90% of my issue.

As far as my mix goes... I start and shut down on pump diesel in the trucks... Switch over to the oil tank as the temp gauge starts to come up. In the oil tank, its just ~w85-w90. No diesel fuel. Diesel is used as a thinner... gasoline is a MUCH better thinner then diesel. The goal is to get to the viscosity of diesel fuel... cant do that by using diesel fuel as a thinner. But yes.. run on straight w85-w90. Ive put 500+ gallons through the truck doing this without so much as a hiccup.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit some setbacks last week. Slowly went from a noticeable power loss which switching back to diesel to eventually not even being able to idle on either fuel. Ended up needing to replace my injection pump. Most likely scored barrels and plungers.

I had some applesauce veg I blended with gas to be able to burn back from the wagon days. The new owner of the wagon had to replace the IP as well once he started running it on diesel - I had just started to run the wagon on this stuff when I sold it (no hard feelings from new owner, I was honest about it being an alt fuel car.) At the time, I chocked that failure up to high mileage, but I now suspect that veg had a lot of water absorbed into it.

The little stock I had is now gone and I am starting fresh again. There was a TON of black sludge in the bottom of the fuge barrel... man, something about the wvo/wmo mix really makes the black sludge drop from the wmo.

80k mile IP, injectors and injector lines were $150 from a guy on CL. Hacked up one of the injector lines to make a drip timing tool. Pump install went great. Really diesel rattly and poppy now, I think I will loosen the pump bolts and knock it back one degree.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd that it took out the pump so quick. I put a few hundred gallons of wmo through my Benz and only had some injector issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86