W80: keeping it mixed

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Has anyone started a drum on fire with the gas mixed in?

I hate to be the first. Lol

73% 15-40wmo
27% gas.

Mixing with an air nozzle

shawn deere

Reaction score
Man, ive got one of them little blue oil filter canister lookin fuges, it just wont spin right....

Itll wind up, then slow down to a stop.
Dropped some coin on the setup, gear drive pump, pressure gauge, brass valve and all so i can adjust the pressure to 90psi

shawn deere

Reaction score
The pressure is still there, i can just hear the 'fuge slow down and stop

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pressure is still there, i can just hear the 'fuge slow down and stop

What is your operating pressure?

From the sounds of it, pressure is building and pushing the o-ring out of place. Either that, or the nozzles are getting plugged up.

When ours first comes online.. it will gradually slow down unless pressure is monitored. As it runs at first, the oil does warm up a bit... mix a bit better with the gasoline... and pressure drops because of it so I have to bump it back up.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was fighting similar problems where it would wind up and after a few minutes very clearly lose lots of RPM in a short period of time. Different than the gradual pressure loss as the oil thins from warming.

Initially, I found that replacing the bronze bushings helped. After a couple batches, I found it happening again. I ordered a new rotor and discovered that the holes in the nozzles were probably 50% enlarged compared to the nozzles on the new rotor! New nozzles seemed to fix it for me.

I also had to replace my gear pump, but that only caused a max pressure of about 60psi.

I am nearly certain the oil I had ruined the bushings, nozzles, gear pump, and IP. Been off to real ****** start getting this car going on WMO. The steering pump I use for the fuge instantly started ******* oil at the front seal when I started my latest batch, been busy and haven’t had time to replace. Another $40 down the drain and lengthening the time I’ll need to run WMO before I break even for what this has cost me. Sigh

shawn deere

Reaction score
I was fighting similar problems where it would wind up and after a few minutes very clearly lose lots of RPM in a short period of time. Different than the gradual pressure loss as the oil thins from warming.

Initially, I found that replacing the bronze bushings helped. After a couple batches, I found it happening again. I ordered a new rotor and discovered that the holes in the nozzles were probably 50% enlarged compared to the nozzles on the new rotor! New nozzles seemed to fix it for me.

I also had to replace my gear pump, but that only caused a max pressure of about 60psi.

I am nearly certain the oil I had ruined the bushings, nozzles, gear pump, and IP. Been off to real ****** start getting this car going on WMO. The steering pump I use for the fuge instantly started ******* oil at the front seal when I started my latest batch, been busy and haven’t had time to replace. Another $40 down the drain and lengthening the time I’ll need to run WMO before I break even for what this has cost me. Sigh
Pressure is good to go, i can keep it at 90-100 no problem
I think its not draining fast enough and getting backed up into the rotor. Ill get some pics of my setup sometime and post em up.

I built two plates one with a 1/4" pipe to drain into the little hole of a 55gallon drum
One has a 1.25" pipe but it dipped down into the oil inside the drum

System is like brand new hardly run.

It is 15-40 wmo, blended 27% gas. Might need to thin it more or find a more free flowing drain. Or both. Then some time to fiddle with it more. Sitting on 350 gallon of super thick black stuff now. Would be cool to get it burned up :cool:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/4" pipe for the drain??

The opening in the bottom of the 'fuge s like1"... That's probably your issue

Do post picture

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we did ours, we used a 1" hole saw on the drum... Then used self tapping screws and sealant on the bottom of the 'fuge. The one we got from PA has mounting holes in the base. Never had an issue with drainage.

shawn deere

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

shawn deere

Reaction score
K gents. I think its a drainage problem out the bottom of the fuge

Was aiming for a 'fuge into the next barrel and let it settle a while' tactic.

Have two plates ill try the bigger one again. Ill shorten it and torch the hole a bit bigger.

Dont mind the water. We got half our annual rainfall this past week....

Ill post when i know more! Thanks for the info

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went on vacation for two weeks. Before I left, fuge pump started leaking terribly out of the seal. Bought a reman pump to replace it, hopefully getting that going tonight again. Another $35 on the WMO investment tab slowing me from actual savings... what a pain getting all this going again has been.

Car seemed to be getting a little low on power again. Not sure what the deal is. But I found a long Google Doc on tweaking the Bosch MW pump governors for more fuel and made a couple adjustments. Took a few tries to get everything balanced out but it’s running great now. Fingers crossed it stays this way.