VIN numbers on frames???

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do frames have the VIN number from the cab stamped on the frame, or is there a plate on the frame???:dunno
In a mental effort to dance around the touchy subject of VIN numbers on vehicles, this thought came to mind.
What do you guys think??

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 3 idi's down to the frame and don't ever recall seeing any VIN #s on it.. I'm assuming you have an untitled vehicle and not just swapping to a rustfree cab?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't bought any extra vehicles yet.
Did see a crewcab 2wd, and know of a F350 7.3 IDI, 4wd, 5spd, basically a good chassis.
Then title the crewcab like it was before??? If any asks about the 2wd - 4wd change, would say I modified it.:dunno
A couple years ago I talked to a guy from the Iowa DOT, if a person uses a "donor" vehicle it needs to be titled, etc,etc.
When you put that "donor" cab on a different pickup, gotta do all kinds of paperwork crap etc,etc.
Then I thought of this, switch frames and/or engines, trans and so on.
Keep the crewcab title like it was before, it just has a different chassis underneath.:dunno
I hope it's a little clearer then mud.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea you have the easy kind, no one will ever say anything. its putting a title-less cab on that gets difficult, just throw that stuff under it, and pretend nothing happened.. if anyone asks just say you bought an axle, tranny, and tc; as long as you don't brag about it and/or no local cops hate you you'll be fine lol. honestly, I don't even remember if trannys and 2x4/4x4 are on the title, but if they are go ahead and get those changed to whatever you're doing; modifications to titles don't show up on a routine plate-scan like what would happen if you got pulled over

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
What they won't know, won't hurt them. Carefully grind down the VIN tag rivets on the dash, and pop in your old VIN onto the other truck! :D

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they won't know, won't hurt them. Carefully grind down the VIN tag rivets on the dash, and pop in your old VIN onto the other truck! :D

:eek::eek::fan:

The way the state of Iowa needs money I can see them really crackin down on something like that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES...FRAMES have VIN numbers.

It takes a bit freakin work to find it but they ARE there! Don't kid yerself thinking they are NOT!

I know cause I had a frame sandblasted and found the vin ...had it not been for blasting it would never have been located.

Just sayin, I may even still be able to see it can't recall if I slipped with a grinder or not when I was grinding off rivets!

Just sayin....

Al

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
The only vechicles that I readily notice vin's on the frame are the big trucks but our trucks i wouldnt know where to look with out removing the bed and cab then cleaning all the gunk from the frame.

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck hasn't been tampered with, but even if it was I don't see anything happening. The only time anyone lays an eye on it is for a safety inspection. My insurance company has never seen it and the license bureau hasn't either... Who is going to waste there time trying to find a vin number on a frame to match it up? :dunno I only see problems if you make it obvious, like having an F350/F250 titled as an F150.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al where on the frame was it at? I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to trying to find all of this little stuff.. I don't want there to be anything on my truck I don't know about haha :p

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al where on the frame was it at? I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to trying to find all of this little stuff.. I don't want there to be anything on my truck I don't know about haha :p

K so I didn't slip with that grinder..... DOH!

Ok this is my sandblasted and primered Bronco Frame! I am going on the basis that seeing as it's got a vin so will our trucks. I've gotta go this route in my head!

So without further ado!

On top of frame rail on pass side pics are as follows some close ups...and as I backed away I'd hoped they show...and you can get an idea of some numbers there anyway!

You must be registered for see images attach

Hopefully this will help you out.

It would have been under the door area of my frame roughly speaking...

Now everyone...can go check their own, and I'll be checking my SC frame too!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vin's on these trucks are also known to be stamped on top of the frame, on the passenger side, in the area where the frame sweeps down to the cab mount. Looks like they kept it in this general area through the years, looking at the pictures of the Bronco frame above. I didn't know they put them on the side of the frame though.