Videos of the puller

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Banks or an ATS will be more of a restriction than a help on that truck. Given the RPM and fuel, the thing would blow past 15 psi boost, and drive pressures would be through the roof. Those turbos would be so far out of the map that even with an intercooler and even nitrous/water **** the charge air temps would skyrocket also. A non-typical turbo is needed for this non-typical application.

Man I believe you, but its kinda hard for me too when I know mine would pull right past that thing. It has. What about a nonwastegated, propane, and an intercooler? Propane alone drops the temperature?????:dunno

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I believe you, but its kinda hard for me too when I know mine would pull right past that thing. It has. What about a nonwastegated, propane, and an intercooler? Propane alone drops the temperature?????:dunno

Propane acts as a catalyst and can affect timing, but not much in the way of charge air temp reduction.

Again, given the RPM and fueling, a run of the mill currently available IDI turbo will not help. Yes, it will spool better than the 2.8 charger that's on there, as those chargers work well on a 700+hp CTD, PSD or Dmax, but will cut the topend power, as it will be a huge restriction. And topend is where it's at with a pulling truck, when you can get it to come off the line decent.

An HE351 off a common rail Dodge would make a good compromise. They flow 60lbs/min air, which most consider capable of 600hp. It will be a quick spooling charger. Open up the wastegate opening, build yourself an adapter so you have a true 4" downpipe, and you have good flow all around. Alot of guys have had these chargers above 500 rwhp, and while they get a lil toasty and the drive pressures are getting up there, it's safe to say it will handle an IDI.

CoalMiner

Reaction score

well, with having the money you have in your truck i would hope it would pass ours, besides well save the money and put it towards studs and injectors before spending it on an intercooler. DPS is gonna give us the hook up on injectors, studs, and head gaskets.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
well, with having the money you have in your truck i would hope it would pass ours, besides well save the money and put it towards studs and injectors before spending it on an intercooler. DPS is gonna give us the hook up on injectors, studs, and head gaskets.
might want to search about DPS before you get so excited. just get moose injectors.

sootman73

Reaction score
and studs too from what i hear...... i think icanfixall had one break from dropping it or something...... you'd be better off with moose misters, ARP studs overtightened a bit, and maybe you could find some MLS headgaskets....

CoalMiner

Reaction score
might want to search about DPS before you get so excited. just get moose injectors.

i did, stage 1 are the same as moose. 36 a piece. with exchange. 45 for bigger with exchange. you guys sour towards dps?? just wondering.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i havnt personally run them but there is a youtube vid a member posted pop testing a dps stage 1 moose mister and stock injector, and that shows you the difference. the dps just leak and **** a stream of fuel no atomization.

CoalMiner

Reaction score
i havnt personally run them but there is a youtube vid a member posted pop testing a dps stage 1 moose mister and stock injector, and that shows you the difference. the dps just leak and **** a stream of fuel no atomization.

oh ok, well how much are moose misters?? and if ARP are not any good what should i get??

CoalMiner

Reaction score
that's what we were gonna get, i have had good luck with ARPs in the other trucks. Sounds like i need to pm agnew and get a price on some misters.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Nothing against Mel but before you all start telling people to get moose misters you should clarify that they are experimental there is only one set in use and the verdict is still out on whether they make any more power or not.

CoalMiner

Reaction score
I want something that is proven to add substantial power and not just a little bit. I appreciate all the input but i want to know what works and what doesn't.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had thought the misters were around six??? Maybe not...

All I was saying about a non wastegated is that you wont loose any top end with it, unlike the wastegated.

I think putting 4.10s in there would help, if they dont have them already. I know I said an intercooler would help, but I got to thinking and I think for sled pulling it wouldn't help that much and just create turbo lag since you aren't going fast. Also ladder bars and wider tires for traction..

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I was saying about a non wastegated is that you wont loose any top end with it, unlike the wastegated.

I think putting 4.10s in there would help, if they dont have them already. I know I said an intercooler would help, but I got to thinking and I think for sled pulling it wouldn't help that much and just create turbo lag since you aren't going fast. Also ladder bars and wider tires for traction..

A non-gated charger will work, but it needs to a balanced setup to use the RPM and fueling. I know I sound like a broken record here, but I've got experience with a couple different motors and setting them up for big power.

I'd try the DPS stuff. If they don't work out, call Hypermax. Talk to Mel, but since you're talking to the middle man instead of the actuall builder, it might no be exactly what you want. Mel is a standup guy and an honest business man IMO, so I'm not trying to take anything away from him. You are trying new ideas and setups, so pretty much anyones products will experimental.

Thin tires with less traction to get them spinning and spooling the charger is what you'd need with a laggy setup. An air to ice intercooler would be the cat's ass for a pulling truck, and are widely found already. Very little piping, smaller core, and super cool intake air temps. WIn-win in this situation.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I had thought the misters were around six??? Maybe not...

I think your thinking of the injector pumps he has several of those out. Heath is the only one I know of that got a set of injectors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online