Videos of the puller

CoalMiner

Reaction score
What kind of boost are you running right now? And how much do you plan on pushing with a smaller turbo? If it's 20 or under, the HX35 will be better, but that's still on the low side of the map for that charger. HX35's are a common turbo to use on tuner cars, but they are out of the map at low pressure ratios.

Look into an S200 or S300 based charger that the tuner guys use. With a strong map up to 22 psi. Something that was used on a high winding, 600+ hp V6 will supply plenty of air for a 4500 rpm IDI. If you're worried about restriction, you can always get a decent T3/T4 turbine housing on the S300 frame, instead of a smaller housing used on the tiny motors.

-yeah the garret we have is a t4 flange. we are just gonna kick around the idea of a hx casue we dont have a s200 or 300 laying around or the budget. mind you that we have two 6.9's and a 6.0 liter that are in the process of building.

We have only got 6-7 pounds of boost. our exhaust is tight and there is alot of rpm and fuel. it doesnt help that the exhaust housing is really large. i think if we had something smaller we could have better luck in lighting it.

and that truck has seen alot of torch work. We stacked 1200lbs on the truck and were still about 300 shy of 7500.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
-yeah the garret we have is a t4 flange. we are just gonna kick around the idea of a hx casue we dont have a s200 or 300 laying around or the budget. mind you that we have two 6.9's and a 6.0 liter that are in the process of building.

We have only got 6-7 pounds of boost. our exhaust is tight and there is alot of rpm and fuel. it doesnt help that the exhaust housing is really large. i think if we had something smaller we could have better luck in lighting it.

and that truck has seen alot of torch work. We stacked 1200lbs on the truck and were still about 300 shy of 7500.

well sounds like the turbo is a little to big and its having trouble spooling it. a psd turbo would probly work perfect

CoalMiner

Reaction score
What kind of boost are you running right now? And how much do you plan on pushing with a smaller turbo? If it's 20 or under, the HX35 will be better, but that's still on the low side of the map for that charger. HX35's are a common turbo to use on tuner cars, but they are out of the map at low pressure ratios.

Look into an S200 or S300 based charger that the tuner guys use. With a strong map up to 22 psi. Something that was used on a high winding, 600+ hp V6 will supply plenty of air for a 4500 rpm IDI. If you're worried about restriction, you can always get a decent T3/T4 turbine housing on the S300 frame, instead of a smaller housing used on the tiny motors.

what year of powerstroke? like the obs style or newer?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coal Miner.... How about putting your mods in your sig so we know what you having so much fun with.

Dude, I love seeing these IDI in the mix at pulls. Cummins after cummins with a few Dmax's through in gets really boring after a while.

KEEP IT UP!:hail;Sweet

Heath

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
what year of powerstroke? like the obs style or newer?

probly the best one would be the 99-03 psd turbo, its wastegated has a .84a/r exhuast housing and 1.00 intake housing, so it should spool fairly quick and make great boost and mov e lots of air, the older non gated one off the pbs psd is non gated and has a 1.15 exhuast housing and a 1.10 intake housing but its a samller turbo overall so it would be fit into more space limited areas

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probly the best one would be the 99-03 psd turbo, its wastegated has a .84a/r exhuast housing and 1.00 intake housing, so it should spool fairly quick and make great boost and mov e lots of air, the older non gated one off the pbs psd is non gated and has a 1.15 exhuast housing and a 1.10 intake housing but its a samller turbo overall so it would be fit into more space limited areas

But then you're talking surge city, and that's not what you want either. An HX35 will be a better alternative to these examples, get a 14cm gated, or 16 cm non-gated turbine housing and let it rip. Might even be able to get away with an 18.5 or 21cm H1C off an early 12 valve VE engine, given the extra displacment and rpm you have.

CoalMiner

Reaction score
I gotta ask What is "Smarty Programmed" about it?

hahahaha

well, there is about 7 of us that all pull together. four of us have dodges, one street modified gas chevy, and two fords counting the 6.9. We threw that sticker on that truck just to mess with people. The sticker was originally meant for my friends 09 6.7 dodge he got the smarty for.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hahahaha

well, there is about 7 of us that all pull together. four of us have dodges, one street modified gas chevy, and two fords counting the 6.9. We threw that sticker on that truck just to mess with people. The sticker was originally meant for my friends 09 6.7 dodge he got the smarty for.

you are unable to recive pm, so i guess i will ask here, what all has been done to your ip besides shimming the governor? i have a spring in mine that allows me to pass 4000 easily highest i ever went was 4400 but im not sure really what my max is, but im curios as to what else you done to your pump if you dont mind sharing

CoalMiner

Reaction score
you are unable to recive pm, so i guess i will ask here, what all has been done to your ip besides shimming the governor? i have a spring in mine that allows me to pass 4000 easily highest i ever went was 4400 but im not sure really what my max is, but im curios as to what else you done to your pump if you dont mind sharing

honestly we dont know. We took it off and Joel, a guy that farms for us, took it to his shop and did something to it and we just put it back on. We started it and there was mass amounts of fuel. I wish i knew what he did, he wont tell us what he did either. i wish i could help.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
honestly we dont know. We took it off and Joel, a guy that farms for us, took it to his shop and did something to it and we just put it back on. We started it and there was mass amounts of fuel. I wish i knew what he did, he wont tell us what he did either. i wish i could help.

hmmmm, what would he charge for another?

CoalMiner

Reaction score
you know, im not really sure. I know that i have to have another pump turned up and i can ask him to see what he says. we honestly never thought that the puller would get this kind of attention. lol

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why dont yall just put a banks or an ATS on there with an intercooler? You would have more boost and the air going in the intake would be cooler. The videos seem like the rpms never started turning high enough IMO.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why dont yall just put a banks or an ATS on there with an intercooler? You would have more boost and the air going in the intake would be cooler. The videos seem like the rpms never started turning high enough IMO.

A Banks or an ATS will be more of a restriction than a help on that truck. Given the RPM and fuel, the thing would blow past 15 psi boost, and drive pressures would be through the roof. Those turbos would be so far out of the map that even with an intercooler and even nitrous/water **** the charge air temps would skyrocket also. A non-typical turbo is needed for this non-typical application.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys should really dyno this truck. I bet we would all be interested in what kinda numbers it puts down.