Vibration when turning left

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
About three or four weeks ago I noticed a mild vibration in my truck when turning left at around ~40MPH and up on the highway. The vibration has progressively worsened and now vibrates the steering wheel and I have to slow down to get the vibration to stop. I had the front end checked today and the mechanics said that everything felt 'tight' to them so they recommended a tire rotation based on some outer edge uneven tread wear. I've only driven about four miles since the rotation but it seems there's still a vibration there. Other than new tires, which I do need soon regardless, what else could be causing this vibration?

I have ~44K miles and stock sized Kelly tires. I haven't towed my camper for nine months.

Any and all advice appreciated....other than switching brands because I'd rather walk than ride any other brand.;)

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Could your bad tire need to be high speed rebalanced? Sometimes the rim balancing weight will fall off and create what you are experiencing. When you said that they checked your front end...did they check the ball joints and tie rod? Your signature does not indicate if it's an automatic. If it is, if the cross member bracket that supports the tranny mount is NOT torqued rock tight you will feel a vibration/thumping. Loose cab mounts? How is the alignment? Does it track straight or drift to one side?

Last edited:

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Originally posted by hheynow
Could your bad tire need to be high speed rebalanced? Sometimes the rim balancing weight will fall off and create what you are experiencing. When you said that they checked your front end...did they check the ball joints and tie rod? Your signature does not indicate if it's an automatic. If it is, if the cross member bracket that supports the tranny mount is NOT torqued rock tight you will feel a vibration/thumping. Loose cab mounts? How is the alignment? Does it track straight or drift to one side?

hheynow:

Yes, it's an automatic.

Both weights were still in place and there didn't appear to be any additional weights missing.

As for checking the front end, they visually inspected and manipulated each wheel while up on the rack looking for play and found everything to be tight.

It tracks straight and there's no vibration other than when turning left. When there is a vibration now it actually shakes the steering wheel.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Are you getting just a vibration or are you getting some clunking along with it?

Just a suggestion but check your drop arm on the drivers side... both where it attaches to the frame and the crossmember. When mine came loose it was more exagerated one way than the other but I can't remember which.... But I would check all the bolts for tightness. I thought mine was just tires at first and then it started clunking... then I knew I had more of a problem..

sagebel

Reaction score
How old are your shocks? Could the left side be bad? My truck had a bad vibration until I installed the Bilsteins.

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieselmaster
Are you getting just a vibration or are you getting some clunking along with it?

Just a suggestion but check your drop arm on the drivers side... both where it attaches to the frame and the crossmember. When mine came loose it was more exagerated one way than the other but I can't remember which.... But I would check all the bolts for tightness. I thought mine was just tires at first and then it started clunking... then I knew I had more of a problem..

Dieselmaster:

If the 'clunking' you are referring to is an audible as well as palpapble vibration in the steering wheel then I'm getting clunking now too. I'll check that arm ASAP.

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Originally posted by sagebel
How old are your shocks? Could the left side be bad? My truck had a bad vibration until I installed the Bilsteins.

sagebel:

The shocks are just over three years old and have 44k on them. The truck seems to settle properly instead of bouncing but the guy who rotated my tires said the wear pattern was consistant with bad shocks. Other than bouncing the truck, like with lighter weight vehicles, how can the shocks be tested?

sagebel

Reaction score
I only know the rock the truck method and see if it settles or continues to bounce. I am by no means a front end expert. My truck was bouncing quite a bit when I replaced my shocks and the ride is great now. Have you checked the wheel bearings?

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Per Moses Ford in St Albans WV:
Alignment: Pefect
Front end hardware: Perfect
Tires: possible broken belt

Replaced tires at Sams Club and the problem is fixed. No vibration at all now. :D

Thanks to all for your advice. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7