Vent about PO of my truck

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you might remember that my engine went south a few month ago. And I had said that I would post up picture of the carnage. Well I had some tough fiance issues and then some health issues, but I'm back on track now. I'm working on it slowly but surely.

When I pulled the motor/tranny though I was shocked to find both motor mount disconnected. I mean bolts gone! Pass side the bolt that go into the block were gone, Nuts that go in the drivers side bottom were gone. The drive shaft was in solid, really solid. My son in law and I swung the engine and tranny and noticed that the top too bell housing bolts were missing. Oh, let me back up. I pulled the starter and just let it hang. When I put a wrench on the mid bolt, it wasn't tight, then I checked the bottom bolt only to find it was also loose. The top bolt was taken out with an extension and socket, no ratchet. Back to the bell housing. As I said the top 2 were gone, then my son in law pointed out that the bottom right bolt was back out about 2 threads and then we checked the others and found all of them finger tight, or less.

It will be after we get my son in laws 5.0 of the engine stand before my old motor can be torn down, but when that day comes I will defiantly post pictures of the carnage.

Oh, I almost forgot, I decided to take a close look at the starter. One solenoid screw was missing, the other was half way out. So I disconnected the wires and and found that the battery wire jam nut was the wrong size but had not buggered the threads, just couldn't be tightened up.

Engine and tranny are back in and everything is tight. Starter and wiring in and tight , with proper hardware. Over the next few days I'll be installing everything on the engine and replacing the core support and all. And washing oil out of the radiator.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had lost bolt before and on occasion even found bolts that heads had broken off. But I have never seen every bolt finger tight or missing.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats how my jeep was. im still finding bolts that werent tightened. bought it and soon after it developed a SLIGHT (1 drip after long drives) oil leak. never bothered me, just parked it on a pile of kitty litter. over the years its gotten worse and i have a valve tick. SO i go in to reset all my valve lash and find every cotton picking bolt on the valve cover loose. not just slightly, but "if there wasnt mud on this motor theyda fallen out" loose. so after getting the call that my new valve cover gaskets werent in (another story all its own) i tighten the bolts down. sure enough i havent dripped a drop since. now to just get the valve lash done

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online