Van gutter repair w/ pics

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Dig all the old seal out, its tough I used a chisel it takes a while take your time and try not to dig into the metal.I found some pretty sever rust holes where the water had gotten behind the seal. I used bondo to patch it and to act as the new seal, I figure it wouldnt crack like the old seal!

2. I took a angle grinder with a wire wheel and got it to bare metal and removed all the old seal and rust.

3. Bondo the sucker, I used a steel pipe connecter for chain link fencing to get a smooth even finish.
Sand and paint ! I used a hose to test for leak and it all checked out, it took one weekend to do the whole van.
I ended up ripping the headliner out it had gotten damp and moldy. I used about a gal. of bondo to complete the whole thing make sure you mash it in good and get under the lip of the gutter !

Attachments

• SD530071.JPG
    SD530071.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 22
  • SD530072.JPG
    SD530072.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 22
  • SD530076.JPG
    SD530076.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 25

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bondo RETAINS moisture, thats the last thing I woulda used. Seam sealer would have been a better choice...

c_silva88

Reaction score
ive used bond before and preped every thing really good painted the truck and maybe a year later it started to bubble up and fall off in chunks. since then ive used eastwoods 2k seam sealer and never have had a problems since i re did every thing 4 years ago

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive used bond before and preped every thing really good painted the truck and maybe a year later it started to bubble up and fall off in chunks. since then ive used eastwoods 2k seam sealer and never have had a problems since i re did every thing 4 years ago

Exactly what I was trying to say...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I do not use bondo I use fiberglass doesn't hold water. Then I coat it with flowable seam sealer. an 2k primer. Use fiberglass no matter what an finish with sealer. Sealer over time will rot from the sun which is what causes this problem over years. I have pics of an idi van we just did this to an painted it pearl white for a grand total 5500.00 OTD.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they make self leveling seam sealer to seal up drip edges and other roof joints. This would be more impervious to moisture than a plastic filler like bondo would. Now if you coated it well and treat the rust from the inside also to keep moisture from getting in behind the bondo you have a repair I would expect to last. The main problem with Bondo is that it can take on moisture. One it takes on moisture the rust continues and it comes out.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main problem with Bondo is that it will take on moisture
fixed it

I knew I was going somewhere with my question. 20+ years on the seam sealer sounds like a pretty decent life expectancy.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I didnt know about the moisture I thought it would repel it, I will get some seam sealer and fix that up asap !
It was a good amount of work I dont want it to go to waste.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Thx to all for this thread. Knew nothing of seam sealer, or of Bondo and moisture.

My gutters are a bit rusty on the outside edge, but the actual guttering looks fine. My van had correct-era California plates when I got it, but surface rust here and there suggests she's seen some snow? ice? salty Pacific air? in her life.

Been busy on the mechanicals and haven't converted any rust yet. This forum rocks!