van engineers must die.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the new radiator came in for the van...(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0603641091&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT) $317 for a 3 core..

so I got to work on it...pulled all the grill and such...strained so hard after it was all disconnected that Im glad Im done havin kids (darn thing must weigh 150lbs with all the scale and crap in it!! (its plugged up))

then it was time to get the old power steering pump off and the new one installed....

and broke the pivot bolt...crap...-cuss
then fought the AC brackets to get the ps pump bracket off...-cuss
then discovered 99% of my drillbits are in need of sharpening (spinning bits and makin smoke)-cuss
find a bolt :hail
tap the hole and nothin broke ;Sweet
swap the pulleys..came right off..didnt wanna go back on till it broke the installer bolt..but I got it...-cuss
get the ac brackets back on...then back OFF cus the ps bracket wont go on...-cuss
fight the ps bracket...-cuss alot-cuss
put the ac bracket BACK on..
tightned all the belts..
put shroud back on..slid rad down in to see the fit..and I gotta drill the mounting holes cus the truck ones must be JUST a little diffrent (easy to fix):sly

started it at 4pm...at 12:15AM I closed the garage door with it not done...I have tools and grease and metal shavings all over the garage...-cuss

oh..and discovered the batteries I put in...I forgot to hook up one to the + side...and I ended up havin to lift those big suckers BACK out (31 series) to get to the rad bolts...

im tired..my hands hurt and didnt come all the way clean...

Attachments

• IMG00897.jpg
    IMG00897.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG00899.jpg
    IMG00899.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 30

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a parts E350 with my PSD truck... Bill had thought it was the HPOP gone bad that was the reason for the truck not starting. I was just going to give up and leave the truck be if that was the problem....
I HATE working on anything on the front of the engine on a van...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have my sympothy. I've often thought it would be really cool to have a conversion van, but I have friends with vans and have seen what you have to go through to work on one, and I'm just not that much of a *********.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Yeah if I was gonna have a van I would just go with a truck front and build something like a centurion but with a higher ceiling or something...

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have my sympothy. I've often thought it would be really cool to have a conversion van, but I have friends with vans and have seen what you have to go through to work on one, and I'm just not that much of a *********.

ya say that now...but it shouldnt take me anytime to get the injectors changed...I can lay on the floor..drink a soda...turn the radio up or change channels...cus its all within arms-reach:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Interesting looking aluminum radiator but three row???:dunno My aluminum Rodney Red is a two row but its 1 1/4 inch wide tubes...:sly Did you give any thought to how this radiator will be kept clean.... Nobody will open it up to rod or boil it out... I'm wondering the same about mine but hope it never needs to be cleaned out... I run distilled water and Fleatcharge coolant.... Might be changing to Evans waterless some day.....

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting looking aluminum radiator but three row???:dunno My aluminum Rodney Red is a two row but its 1 1/4 inch wide tubes...:sly Did you give any thought to how this radiator will be kept clean.... Nobody will open it up to rod or boil it out... I'm wondering the same about mine but hope it never needs to be cleaned out... I run distilled water and Fleatcharge coolant.... Might be changing to Evans waterless some day.....

its prettymuch in the same boat as my stocker...ya cant rout it out due to the enhanced tubes...and at 25yrs old...its ok to replace her....I would LOVE it if my van lasts long enough for this to be a concern!!;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya say that now...but it shouldnt take me anytime to get the injectors changed...I can lay on the floor..drink a soda...turn the radio up or change channels...cus its all within arms-reach:sly

Well there should be SOME consolation for having to work on one of those. LOL

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The first time I pulled an engine from an old dodge van, we used a swazall and cut all the metal out of the front that was stopping the motor from coming out. It wasn't until later we learned it was supposed to come out the side. At least we were scrapping the van. My friends chevy van isn't to bad to work on, it is kind of nice swapping a carb while sitting in a cushy chair.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
The first time I pulled an engine from an old dodge van, we used a swazall and cut all the metal out of the front that was stopping the motor from coming out. It wasn't until later we learned it was supposed to come out the side.

I hear ya on those old dodge vans!! Another mechanic I know is convinced a technician got toooo close to a dodge engineer's wife and he made us pay! :backoff :backoff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Sekeres drove out to meet me at a campground once while he was putting on a turbo. He didn't have time to put the doghouse on, and his tennis shoe on his right foot melted by the time he got to see me. LOL

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
We have had a couple of vans, and yes working on the front of the engine sucks..... even in a small block gasser. However, it is nice to be able to sit in the captains chairs, or lay on the clean floor to do any work that is behind the distributor. Makes troubleshooting the engine nice, just drive around sitting next to the engine......

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Having worked on both Ford and Chevy vans the chevys are pretty easy to work on, they do give you room. Plus with the dizzy at the back of the engine and with the dog house off im pretty sure its the only vehicle that you can time by ear while driving it LOLLOLLOL