Valve Sticking? Bad Injection Pump? Going Mental?

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's chuffing per se, but I remember after doing installing a Moose Junior injection pump on a friends truck, the noise levels while running reduced significantly. I used to not be able to hear myself think while it was running, compared to mine, which had a nice sounding clatter, consistent with that of other diesel powered light trucks I've heard. After the injection pump was replaced, you could actually carry on a normal conversation by the truck while running.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use search...look at my post mortem of valve chuff.....not nice to say the least..

Bad guide could still offer good comp test...engine not spinning as quick as running and harmonics of a running engine and cylinder pressures much diffent than a comp test...

JM2CW

DirtyRed7.3

Reaction score
Well i haven't had the patience to nor time to check passenger side so i guess il look there.... man if the motor is dead then i might as well be dead :fan: wish me luck. i also noticed a loss in power this week and blue smoke at idle and start up, no were near as bad on start up with my old E codes.. those things would smoke out a subdivision in a minute or two ;Sweet

DirtyRed7.3

Reaction score
Could it be caused by air getting in somewhere? my caps and return lines are brand new and even after swapping injectors around the chuff is still there so it makes me wonder if maybe it is air?

DirtyRed7.3

Reaction score
V A L V E

Yeah figured as much, just trying to shine light on my dark parade of this year... sigh... when i get more time il poke around and get my camera working and take pictures. the drivers side was real clean, no sludge or sticking lifters, tho i gota ask, is it normal to be able to spin the valves and springs by hand?

DirtyRed7.3

Reaction score
PROCRASTINATION

Its 48 degrees and raining outside and i don't have a garage to work in, Tomorrow and thursday are my days to dig into the nitty gritty and figure out whats really kickin the sticks and causing the damn chuff, so the ranger keeps working for the week, with 310,286 miles i wonder when that things ona die lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its 48 degrees and raining outside and i don't have a garage to work in, Tomorrow and thursday are my days to dig into the nitty gritty and figure out whats really kickin the sticks and causing the damn chuff, so the ranger keeps working for the week, with 310,286 miles i wonder when that things ona die lol
My chuffer went ka..freakin ...boom..read my post mortem yhread..

My ranger..1990 paid 375...310k then..now 5 years later 440k..gas n oil n tyres...2.9l 5sp 4x ex cab...they rock

DirtyRed7.3

Reaction score
Well now my injection pump is dying, im getting bad hot start issues and WOT does nothing, very sluggish and terrible mileage. id love to know what i did wrong to **** off karma this much, i've owned this truck for quite a while and no issues and now this... welp now im out of work again and down the only rig that could pull a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online