valve stem seals and oil consumption

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used kreen, So I can't comment on it.

But anytime we have an engine with coked rings, I use Top Engine Cleaner from acdelco. Your local gm dealer should be able to order it.

What I would do, is the same thing we had to do on the 5.3 LS engines that had carbon/ring issues. They'd start with a warm engine, and then.....

1. Remove the spark plugs/glow plugs
2. Bar the engine over so none of the pistons are at tdc.(I thinks it's 45 degrees ATDC on cyl 1)
3. Pour the cleaner down the plug holes
4. Let the cleaner sit for 2 hours, and no more then 3 hours (this stuff is so potent it can ruin pistons)
5. Use a fluid evacuator to remove as much of the cleaner that you can.
6. Change the engine oil and filter.
7. Install the plugs
8. Start the engine and run it on a trip hard.

If the rings were coked, or stuck from carbon, they shouldn't be any more. And like I said, this stuff is potent, so be careful in using it.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for some MMO or SeaFoam in the oil and a good long hard pull. Something with extended periods of constant boost and EGT's near 1000*F. She'll either clean up or give up. Good luck!

Black dawg

Reaction score
Another vote for some MMO or SeaFoam in the oil and a good long hard pull. Something with extended periods of constant boost and EGT's near 1000*F. She'll either clean up or give up. Good luck!

When the roads get better, the plan is to load it up good and go put 500 or so miles through it. Have to put my pyro back in and run it hard. I suppose I could just go run it back and forth over the pass until I have had enough.