Valve Cover Gasket - Oil Leak

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
I have a 1994 7.3L w/ Factory Turbo that has an oil leak coming from my Drive Side valve cover, does anyone know what the ford part number is for the valve cover gaskets or were to buy them?

Also while I have the covers off I'd like to paint them or replace with new what are my options for new OEM or aftermarket steel/aluminum valve covers?

romulus

Reaction score
kragen has felpro gaskets for 10 bucks a set.

i painted my covers flat black with high temp header paint for a genuine "road warrior" look.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing but the steel oem covers available for any idi engine...... Sorry too... When you install the valve cover gaskets make sure everything is cleaned with brake clean... It does not leave a dry film so rtv wil stick... Coat both sides of the gaskets with good quality rtv. I use permatex copper plus.... Its never leaked a drop. Works great for the oil pan gasket too... Ford nor international used any kind of a cork or rubber pan gasket so why should we... Just because one usually comes in the overhaul package does not mean we should use it... Usually those that try to use them end up with a leaker.... Nobody really wants to pull the engine again just for a pan gasket but.... Ever try to do a pan reseal when the engine is still in the truck....:eek::angel: The oil pump pickup is way down about 1/8 inch off the bottom of the pan... So how ya gonna remove the pan with that sticking way down in there... Lift the engine... Jack up the cab..... Nope... Use rtv and forget it....:sly

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I never use RTV when there's a chance it could enter the engine and maybe block a oil passage/return hole.
I did use the cheap rubber FelPro gaskets along with Prematix Hi-tack on the rubber gaskets > very thin smear and it sticks and holds the gasket in place. ;Sweet

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Its a bummer to hear there are no aftermarket options for the valve covers...

Thanks for the info on the gasket. Keep the advice and knowledge coming! =)

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Make sure when you go in to ask for gaskets for a 1993 Ford diesel or they will probably give you Powerstroke parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online