Valve cover bolts loosening up????

supercab79

Reaction score
How are you guys keeping your bottom rear, more than the front or top valve cover bolts tight I put the new valve cover gaskets in and drove about 18 miles and could smell oil burning and it was the drivers side valve leaking bad. the bottom bolts were just overhand tight. Is anyone else doing something to solve this?

Thanks Marc

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I have basically the same problem. I'm thinking cleaning it all up and locktite might be the only way...

I try to tighten them up every once in a while but it still leaks down onto the exhaust, then when i get the engine hot it starts smokin off. :eek:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
supercab79 said:
How are you guys keeping your bottom rear, more than the front or top valve cover bolts tight I put the new valve cover gaskets in and drove about 18 miles and could smell oil burning and it was the drivers side valve leaking bad. the bottom bolts were just overhand tight. Is anyone else doing something to solve this?

Thanks Marc

If you didn't the first time, use a torque wrench. Those bolts need to be a little tighter than one might think.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Once they start leaking the oil has a wick from which to leak out from. These gaskets need to be dry and so does the head valve cover gasket rail. Otherwise it will leak as you have found out. Some here use rtv instead of a gasket and that seems to work. I know thats all I use on my big block chevy and have never had a leak even at the intake to block seal area.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
locktite is a good suggestion.
I use either "aviation" permatex or "super 300" permatex. neither one is as sensitive to oil as locktite is. Both are a shelac(sp) type sealent and does help hold the bolt from vibrating loose. I don't have an issue with the vavle covers leaking as I do with the head gaskets weeping oil. Oh well....it is a diesel. :D

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
what I do is put shellac on both sides of the rubber.
bolt the covers down, themn wait 10 minutes and retighten , yes they will be loose.
then wait another 10 minutes and tighten again.
been doin them this way for years now, with no leakers.
Nick

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
These are easy to overtighten also. You dont want to warp the thin steel, then you'll never get the leak to stop.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
gabbyr100rs said:
What is the suggested torque spec on the valve covers?

6 ft lbs ( 72 in lbs )
1/4" drive in lb torque wrench with a deep socket with a wobble extension will get them ( a bit of fun to get to that one next to the filter bracket )

------------Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Staff online

Members online