Vacuum pump pully failure?

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Man, I'm sort of stumped here.... Power brakes failed, diagnosis- vacuum pump. Part arrives the next morning and after install I noticed a big wobble in the pully. How the heck could that have developed? This pully is a stout piece of steel.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pulley can be bent by someone if they use a outside jaw type puller on it. When I last replaced my vacuum pump I rented a pulley puller that pulled on the center hub of the pulley to prevent bending it.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
To Tradergem's point, did the pump come with a pulley, or did you put the pulley on?

If the pulley came with the pump, then send it back. (Most I have seen do not.)

If you pulled it off the old pump, and put it on the new pump, likely you bent it putting it on or pulling it off. Eitherway you will need to replace it. I would see if you can get one from the same vendor as the vacuum pump, they will sell ones that fit their shaft likely better. If not I do know last I checked O'Rielleys could still order a pully. Then to Tradergem's point buy a pulley removal/install kit this time to prevent damaging it when you press it on the shaft. (Your local auto parts store may lend or rent one, just make sure the threads on it are good.)

Keep in mind its the same thing with a Powersteering pump. On my 2007 F150 I actually ordered the pump and a new pulley ($15) so I did not have to goof around with pulling the old pulley and worry about it breaking or bending while getting it off. I just had to put the new one on with a pulley kit. Saved time and potential frustration. (See below.)

Post some pics and let us know how it ends up.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my vacuum pump a few months back. I could tell it went because on my drive home it started making a clacking noise. I still had power brakes though so maybe mine was near close to shittin the bed? But as the others have said, DEFINITELY get the pulley remover and installer tool. I bought one of Amazon for $30 and it shipped next day. The first pump I bought from NAPA didn’t come with a pulley so I had to buy that separate too but I ended up trying to install the pulley on the pump without the tool and blew rear end out the pump :/ noobie mistake. So I had to get a second vacuum pump and the pulley went on the pump like butter with the tool. I’d venture to guess you need a new pulley. And don’t be like me and make a cheap repair cost more, get the tool lol your local store may have one for rent? Mine didn’t, that’s why I ended up buying.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have oreilly auto parts they may loan the otc style puller. The oreilly near me had that type, it works as it should and makes the job simple.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just replaced my vacuum pump a few months back. I could tell it went because on my drive home it started making a clacking noise. I still had power brakes though so maybe mine was near close to shittin the bed? But as the others have said, DEFINITELY get the pulley remover and installer tool. I bought one of Amazon for $30 and it shipped next day. The first pump I bought from NAPA didn’t come with a pulley so I had to buy that separate too but I ended up trying to install the pulley on the pump without the tool and blew rear end out the pump :/ noobie mistake. So I had to get a second vacuum pump and the pulley went on the pump like butter with the tool. I’d venture to guess you need a new pulley. And don’t be like me and make a cheap repair cost more, get the tool lol your local store may have one for rent? Mine didn’t, that’s why I ended up buying.
If you buy one, the first time you use it, you'll think that it's worth it's weight in gold. At least I felt that way with mine.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Nope, I used a proper puller and installer.... So you see why I'm stumped!
Best I can imagine is that it was always bent and I never noticed, but hard to imagine I wouldn't notice. Anyway, I ordered a new pully ($143!) so I'll be back on the road shortly after the mail arrives. Its aftermarket from Amazon, not oem so we'll see...
I don't think you can order the pump with pully, also it would have to come with bolts which are trapped behind the pully. I did the pully R&R with the pump installed, and used a 6 point socket to avoid stripping the bolt heads.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Nope, I used a proper puller and installer.... So you see why I'm stumped!
I ordered a new pully ($143!) so I'll be back on the road shortly after the mail arrives.

$143 seems a little steep for a pulley, this one at O'Rielleys is the one I used last time and is only $50 (See below)

Also when you say propeller puller, I think of one that pushes in on the drive shaft and pulls the outside edge of the center of the prop in 2 or 3 places. (I have had 3 different boats and a dozen different little outboards.) If that is what you are refering too, that is not what we are talking about.

Just in case, the puller we are talking about grabs the little lip in the center part of a vacuum pump or power steering pulley, uses a bolt in the middle to pull it oposite of the shaft, then uses the bolt to push it back on the shaft with the same lip. So perhaps you can bend the shaft somehow but it will not bend the pulley since it only pushes and pulls on the center. Very different than any gear or propeller puller that I have used in the past. (See below)

Attachments

• Ford - Power steering pulley puller.jpg
    Ford - Power steering pulley puller.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 3

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
“Proper” as in “correct” puller.... not propeller. Funny how our eyes play tricks!
Its a serpentine system, not V belt

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah $143 seems steep, maybe you got a better than oem one? I paid like $45 for my pulley at NAPA. I’m thinking there had to be something wrong with yours from the factory, or maybe the mailman took his lunch break with it smashed under his **** eating an Arby’s sandwich, you never know! But with the pulley-putter-onner (proper terms here) I think you’ll be good to go now.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy one, the first time you use it, you'll think that it's worth it's weight in gold. At least I felt that way with mine.
Oh that’s how I felt for sure. Especially because I broke the first pump I bought trying to press the pulley on with a press we have in the shop to test aviation jacks :smash: back end started to leak oil real quick lol live and learn!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I saw that nice boat in your pic and must of had propeller on the brain!

I don't think you would have bent it using a puller. Maybe when the pump died it locked up just briefly and bent it the pulley. That is why you had never noticed before, it was not bent before.

You should see my A/C clutch, compressor froze, and it shattered it. Had to cut the belt to keep going. These engines have a ton of torque.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

Yep. I have this kit: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER39000

I paid full retail price for it 4 years ago (about $70 I think then) because my F250's vac pump suddenly began failing in the TX panhandle. It was cheaper than paying a shop! Thankfully I was in a "just big enough" sized city where I could get parts/tools but everything was within 2-3 miles with 30mph speed limits so driving around that day wasn't horrible. The free rental ones I tried first wouldn't fit the V-belt vac pump pulley, so I bought the Napa one, which they had in stock when I walked in the door. I have used it a few times now. Twice for vac pumps (once each on the F250 and RV) and once for my RV's power steering pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online