Vacumn pump delete?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I know on our trucks that the vacumn pump runs the brakes, but is it important for anything else?
On my build, I'm going to use a GM hydroboost brake booster, so what will I need the vacumn pump for?
I'd like to use that space for an extra A/C compressor, converted to an on board air system.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The climate controls are vacuum-operated, and so is the shifting for a C6 (not an issue since you have a ZF5), but other than that, you're good to go. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the climate controls will default to defrost position(DOT requirement) so if you don't mind it being permenantly on defrost, tear out the pump and don't look back. that is what I did with all my F450's ;Sweet

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've heard that the newer SD's have an electric vacuum pump but i need to do some resurch i am planning on doing the same on mine when i rebuild the motor

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
A whole bunch of GM cars in the 90's used electrical vacuum pumps. If all you is vacuum for the climate control, go junk yarding and find one.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Cool guys. Thanks for the info!
Under the hood of the ford, it's really too cramped for me to get a good look, but I'm hoping that if I also ditch the manual fuel pump, I'll have enough room for this all to bolt in without too much fab work.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The absolute number one improvement is to replace that mechanical pump with an elelctric pump. Lots of threads on this --check the archives if you have any doubt.
You can block off the fuel pump with a standard chevy block off--I can't remember if its a BB, or SB block off, but one of them fits perfectly.