V Belts replacement

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When long ALT belt goes, it throws all the belts, except VP. Best insurance is to carry extra belts, no matter the brand. Short belt is best for me. If PS belt goes, you know it immediately.
Been running this truck for 25 years.
I've lost my alternator belt twice, both times it was merciful enough to leave the other belts alone. Now I change my belts every 8-12 months whether they need it or not LOL

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like gates serpentine belts,don't like their V belts. I don't like dayco serpentine belts but so like dayco V belts. Are you guys that threw a belt throwing gates? Gates makes napa too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I've lost my alternator belt twice, both times it was merciful enough to leave the other belts alone. Now I change my belts every 8-12 months whether they need it or not LOL

I like to live dangerously I guess. Mine are well over two years old I'm sure. I just inspect them now and then is all.

Once drove a Geo Metro on a 4500 mile trip with a blown head gasket, having to refill oil and coolant every 100-150 miles. Plus a bad rear wheel bearing on the return drive. It's a wonder I didn't lose the wheel it was so bad when I got home.

Drove my IDI a long way to get to a shop to do the driveshaft carrier bearing last year when I initially noticed it having play. The bearing "exploded" the shop said. No other damage though. It sounded like an off balance washing machine at that point.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like gates serpentine belts,don't like their V belts. I don't like dayco serpentine belts but so like dayco V belts. Are you guys that threw a belt throwing gates? Gates makes napa too.
The first one I lost was a Gates belt, it was about a year old with 5k miles on it, it was showing cracks but I thought it was fine since it was relatively fresh. The next belt was a generic ~$7 cheapy, that one lasted 6 months with <2k miles. Went back to Gates, it's a little over a year old now so I need to get on that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For alternator belt, I carefully use a long ass tire iron (an old HFT one) wedged in to the drivers side and pull it towards the passenger side while it is braced against the alternator casing. I did that a year ago after replacing the alternator and it hasn't thrown the belt. I recently redid it as the belt seemed a little loose. It's probably a bad way to do it but it seems to work for me. I don't go insane on pulling the tire iron though.

I've had the truck almost two years (will be two in February) with the belts it still has so I guess I'm lucky or my method is good.
I do the same thing except I use a pry bar. That upper thermostat housing bolt makes a great pry point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08