using a manual trans column in in auto

steamtownwelde

Reaction score
In my quest to make this truck start with the key I'm at the point of replacing the column. I'm fairly certain the issue is the plastic actuator in the column. At the junkyard today every dang auto column was gone. I took a look at a smooth operating column from a manual f250 that also had the cruise controls on the wheel and it looked like it had the provisions to swap my auto shifter over. For the $18 they charged me I figured I'd take a shot at it. Any reason this wont work?

67-7THREE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will possibly work if you got a floor shifter, but i dont think they make one that works for the e4od. i might be wrong tho.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it would work. I probably have an auto column laying around if you need one. I know I have a non-tilt and non-cruise column in a truck that works and I should also have a tilt and cruise column around also, but would need to find it.

PM me if your interested.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obs trucks the parts are interchangeable. 91 and back the core of the column and tilt setuos are completely ddifferent. Been there done that lol on my living room floor lol

steamtownwelde

Reaction score
Just came back in, the manual column worked fine. Lots of little springs and levers and roll pins and brackets to swap over :rolleyes: BUT.......

The truck now starts with the key and MAN does it ever turn over quick now that the entire trucks electrics aren't running through 20 feet of 16 ga. wire :dunno:

Very glad to have this done. I hate wires and I especially hate rigged up previous owner wires!

Now that the electrics are sorted I feel much better.
I bought a brand spankin new 12,000 lb. dump trailer that I'm picking up tomorrow and I didn't want to add wiring for the brake controller to an already spaghetti mess.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Jack