Urgent Clutch Swap Gone Wrong

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for the lucky mod, but in theory it is the same as a SMF. Why the resistance to just trying the streight 30wt? These multi viscosity oils are probably not the way to go. ATF, Gear oil and streight weight oils are all in the same line of thinking.

beaver55

Reaction score
I have a 1994 f-250 7.3, I also changed the dual mass,to the single mass,new clutch preasure plate and throw out bearing,after all of that,I had the same noise that you are having,so I had the tranny, out and rebuilt,all the gears were in perfect shape,I got new bearings and syncros put in ,it didnt realy need them but it was apart anyway.After all of that I still have the same dam rattle, it does not vibrate, and I do not feel anything through the shifter. I was told not to use a gear lube as it will damage the syncros because of the tight tolerance in the zf tranny.I was told by a ford tec.that they will only put in a ford brand clutch fiber plate because the rattle noise comes from the springs in the plate, and that seems to make sence because mine did not make that noise when I first put clutch in.All I need now is to get the garage to replace it at their own time or put up with the noise, hope I could help. beaver55

tractorman86

Reaction score
beaver, it isnt the springs it is just the way these trannys are when they have a solid flywheel, you can put in whatever clutch plate you want and it will still make the same noise. read the rest of this thread, run a thicker atf and it will quiet down, dont go with anything thicker than 50wt atf, and never run gear oil in them!

trj

MPG
Reaction score
Mel,

So you are using straight 30 wt. non-detergent in a zf5? How many miles have you got on it now? Had any problems? How many total miles are on the zf5? Did you over fill too? How much? Any more thoughts or suggestions?

Got cold here....11 last night. I may see 0 this year. I have seen -25 here but that was an all time record.

Thanks,
Tom

trj

MPG
Reaction score
If you have been running a Lucky Mod or SMF for a while could you provide the following information for the forum. I think this info. would help several of us in making decisions on how and what to use:
-How many miles (best guess) have you been running it?
-What lube oil are you using in the ZF5?
-How much oil are you running in the ZF5?
-How is your set up doing in minimizing the gear rollover noise?
-Any recommendations or have you had any problems with it?
-Your location (to evaluate temperature impact).
Thanks,
Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online