Update on Jasper situation on tick noise

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Now for you who went to the idi rally, might remember we where working on my truck on one of the injector Jim opend it and did the surgery and them we (i say we but i didn't do it :D ) reinstalled it.

It happens that some times i can hear it and some times don't. I called Jasper for this and another situation and after 1 hour they agreed to send me a set of 2 injectors. I can hear the tic on the passenger side at the front of the engine (#1 cyl) and after i replaced the injector again :mad: i still hear the click so it could be wath i was afraid of a spring or rocker arm that did not sit well. Called Mel this morning and he mentioned that since i have a hypermax, to remove the primary pipes and hear one and then the other to check if it is a exhaust valve.

It sound like it is at the top but maybe i hear wrong. Any help on this guys? Every day is one less warranty day and i feel like i want a good fix or another engine -cuss .

Thank you, Exekiel.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm not sure until i find the noise, but i can tell you it is internal and it is really close to the valve cover passenger side at the front. The fuel lines are hold together by some kind of clamp from factory on this engine.

Exekiel.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a tick that eventually became very loud associated with a dead cylinder. Do you hear it mostly at high rpm's? You might try 2 bottles of Rislone and see if it clears it up within a day. If not pull the valve covers and look for play in the rocker to the valve. IH says that it is known the rocker pivots wear and devlope clearance between the valve stem and rocker.

Mine was a bad lifter. the pin eventually broke and let the roller slide up in the lifeter. I replaced the lifeter and all is well.

I'm sorry the y pipe you have isn't the one I need.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can hear it all the time, seems to me it comes from inside the valve cover passenger side at the front of the engine. Some times it goes away for a moment but it allways comes back right after i start moving the truck and stop again.

I'm sorry i could not help you with that too, i been looking at your post hope somebody comes up with a Y pipe or an idea.

Exekiel.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Ex-

Make really sure that there are no injector lines touching anything anywhere. I had a similar problem on the Ghost, and thought it was internal, but it was a rubbing injector line.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, he forgot to mention an important point. His engine has a definite miss. Not a full miss, but a weak cylinder miss. At the rally, when we cracked all 8 lines, the #1 line definitely did not contribute as much as the rest. This is why we took the #1 injector apart. The injector was not top shelf, and the rebuilt one helped a little, but I think a compression test is going to be the only data that may make Jasper honor his warranty.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
... and i will get that comp tester asap.

Exekiel.

Could it have spunn a bearing and now you are hearing a little piston slap on the head.I had that happen on my wood hauler when I tore it down the crank was wore .064 and both halves of the bearing was wedge in the rod

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that would account for the miss would it?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I **** the truck to the IH shop today 5:30am :sleepy: so after 1 hour they said the engine does not need a compression test, the tick noise is not an injector (they opened the inj lines) it is possibly an exhaust valve, also the blowby is not a comp problem is bc of the turbocharger on the engine. At that point i told them that a lot of trucks have turbocharger on them and they do not have as much blowby as mine, so he said then mine is wearing out the rings. So after $98 y do not have a compression test done and have the same answer Mel give me for free about the tick noise. How dificult is to replace an exhaust valve anyway, any special tools? I'll check the manual and see if i can do it myself.

I wanted the post back so you guys know.

Exekiel.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda Ironic. I am the service Manager at a Marina. We use Jasper for all of our inboard motor Longblock replacements. We had a 3.0 4 cyl. come back today that we put a Jasper long block in two months ago. Ticks like hell at idle from the crank shaft area. Has to be a rod bearing or something like that. Any way our shop rate is 118.00 per hour and Jasper is sending a new motor but will only pay us 52.00 per hour -cuss Needless to say I don't think I will use them any more :backoff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, I can't believe they wouldn't do the compression test for you! :mad: I would think for the money we could have went and bought the tool and did it ourselves. We're right back where we started. -cuss

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
I **** the truck to the IH shop today 5:30am :sleepy: so after 1 hour they said the engine does not need a compression test, the tick noise is not an injector (they opened the inj lines) it is possibly an exhaust valve, also the blowby is not a comp problem is bc of the turbocharger on the engine. At that point i told them that a lot of trucks have turbocharger on them and they do not have as much blowby as mine, so he said then mine is wearing out the rings. So after $98 y do not have a compression test done and have the same answer Mel give me for free about the tick noise. How dificult is to replace an exhaust valve anyway, any special tools? I'll check the manual and see if i can do it myself.

I wanted the post back so you guys know.

Exekiel.
Well the exhaust valve will probably be the easier thing to replace, a shop should do it for not that much. But getting to the exhaust valve is the hard part. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online