Ugh...Murphy is kicking my ass! Need help, again!

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I posted last night about how the battery light was on.

I put the truck on a charger for a couple hours tonight, started it up to pick up this fellow that wanted to buy the truck, it was off, I figured I was golden.

I go to the airport to pick the guy up, get him, turn the key to start....CLICK.

I was able to push start the truck to get it home, but it will not crank. I checked every battery connection (I just put on a new positive cable last night), cleaned the terminals, cleaned the ground connections on the block. I still get a click from the relay, but no crank. I'm a little stumped. I'm wondering if the smaller cable that goes from the relay to the solenoid might be the problem...the threads on the stud where it attaches to the solenoid (at the starter) are a little boogered up, but I can still get it pretty tight, yet it doesn't seem to be helping. Did my solenoid bite the dust somehow? What the hell is the problem? Jumping the relay with a screwdriver doesn't get me a crank either.

Arrgghhh...I need to get this guy out of here by sometime tomorrow because he has to drive clear back up to Boston. I feel like an ass with this crap happening. I may try to pick up a new solenoid in the morning if somebody in town has one.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall it doing something like this a couple years ago, I replaced the solenoid and it was OK...so I'm wondering if that's the problem again.

Damn truck!

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're jumpering the two big terminals on the solenoid, I think that would rule out a bad solenoid. Sounds like a starter to me.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I've gone through 4 starters in alil less than 2 years..
Been through that enough to now.
If your getting a click at the seinoid and it won't turn over. It's the starter.
Just for the heck of it tho. Take a screw driver and cross them across the two terminals onthe solenoide and if it still doesn't turn over it's your starter.
C

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it...it was the starter. Picked up one of the nice new design high-torque starters from the parts store...man, I shoulda gotten one of those years ago!

But the truck is now gone, the guy drove off in it this morning...farewell ol' blue... :(

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could have bad grounding where the starter meets up too. pop the starter off and clean any rust between the starter and the mounting face