u-joints

sootman73

Reaction score
i've noticed that trying to find bearings, u-joints, carrier bearings, ball joints, bushings are about impossible to find online and know if they are the right one. there seems to be so many different parts:dunno

i need to replace the center u-joint behind the carrier bearing on my driveshaft. what u-joint do i need? i know i need the larger diameter u-joint because i just replaced the rear one on the axle. which is not what they list for the automatic trans trucks but its what i need.....:dunno

and when we figure out what u-joint it is can we put the part number in the parts bin? i think there are a lot more parts we need to be listing in there. i always check that list first before posting here.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
get your calipers and measure cross length and cap diameter and there you go
spicers are easy because 1350 is 3.5" across and 1410 4.1" etc... but I found out that my truck had 1350F originally... same as 1350 but with a slightly smaller cap diameter. There are a few different joints used for our trucks so one cannot really say that you have this or that without confirming it in person

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did the carrier bearing and U-joints on the Scarlet Moose (86' extended cab) so it would use the same parts you need. NAPA can help you out, but you need to know they call this a midship bearing and u-joint. I have not found getting these parts that difficult. I prefer Rock Auto for on-line ordering. Just specify your year, 2WD or 4WD and that you have a 3 joint shaft. I see a Precision Part #354 for the center U-joint (which IS different from the ones at the ends which are the same, at least for a 2WD truck), and the ends use a #434. Unfortunately, all the parts are now Chinese and I can't find them made anywhere else. :dunno -cuss

sootman73

Reaction score
okay i was looking for dana/spicer (i work at dana) u-joints but i couldn't find them and couldn't find the right part numbers.

i'll see what i can find at napa. my biggest problem is that i always have to have the parts(the right ones) before i start working on the truck cuz i dont do it at home and so i dont have another vehicle to run to the parts store and back.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, on my 1985 2WD F-350 Dana-70 T-19 (used to be), the "mid-ship" U-joint is normal in that it is same cross and cup dimensions on all four corners.

Then it gets tricky, and this IS original equipment; the fore and aft joints are the same, but entirely different from the mid-ship joint.

Furthermore, the fore and aft joints are "hybrid", having one cross longer/bigger than the other.

Your situation may differ. ;Really

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on that. I found this to be true also. The end u-joints had 2 caps that looked different, where as the center one all 4 looked the same.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best way to do it is to take them out so they have something to compare it to because these trucks have different joints, the ones the books call for are not what my truck takes.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I just did the carrier bearing and U-joints on the Scarlet Moose (86' extended cab) so it would use the same parts you need. NAPA can help you out, but you need to know they call this a midship bearing and u-joint. I have not found getting these parts that difficult. I prefer Rock Auto for on-line ordering. Just specify your year, 2WD or 4WD and that you have a 3 joint shaft. I see a Precision Part #354 for the center U-joint (which IS different from the ones at the ends which are the same, at least for a 2WD truck), and the ends use a #434. Unfortunately, all the parts are now Chinese and I can't find them made anywhere else. :dunno -cuss

Mel,
I just did 2 U Joints for my (company) Jeep Cherokee from NAPA. I had a choice of USA or Chinese made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online

No members online now.