Turtle Expedition IDIs

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you are aware of the Turtle Expedition but Turtle 3 & 4 were IHC IDIs and to this day they speak quite highly of their reliability.
It's a short read here under vehicles.........
http://www.turtleexpedition.com/

Dennis

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Awesome read thanks for posting that ;Sweet

I really like the 92 F350... I wonder how they delbt with starting it in that extremely cold climate :dunno as cold as they say it got maybe they never turned the truck off in the first place...

Arctic Stanadyne pump too. Anyone have any info on those?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score

I really like the 92 F350... I wonder how they delbt with starting it in that extremely cold climate :dunno as cold as they say it got maybe they never turned the truck off in the first place...

Arctic Stanadyne pump too. Anyone have any info on those?

If I recal correctly the arctic pump is a few special parts designed to deal better with thin fuel. Its been a long time since I was building pumps
Ken

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wonder if maybe it had one of those diesel-fueled block heaters I've heard about?

Either that, or they probably didn't ever shut it off, since they had all those outlets running off it for the camper.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading all about the Turtle Expo trucks in Petersons 4 Wheel and Off Road magazine, which I subscribed to back then. I watched each build with keen interest, and salivated over the high dollar goodies they kept piling on. Then, one day in the 90's, I stopped in my trusty off-road specialty shop, Hoak's 4 Wheel Drive in Wrightsville PA, and walked through the service bay and low and behold, there was one of the Turtle Trucks! Seems they were passing through and needed to do some preventative maintanance and because of their stardom, Hoak's agreed to let them use one of their service bays. The Turtle Expo "person" was working on it, but proved to be rather unfriendly. :( I had all kinds of questions and just wanted to talk to the fellow, but his answers were very short and somewhat curt. I could tell I was just anoying him, so I just walked away. I guess they either get tired of being famous, or having met so many people in the world, were just weary of strangers. :dunno

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that idea of having a bumper with storange compartments in it. That's pretty cool. Might try to incorporate that into my bumper idea.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have a 12v 600w tank heater that woks very nice maybe they use something like that on their tanks so the fuel doesn't freeze bc in suck cold temp keeping the engine running may not help so much.