Turbo wastegate...

black haze

Reaction score
Im about to invest in a new HX35 Or HX40 turbo..Both have a wastegate option..I was wandering if this was better for a turbo, or if it made any differance, or even if you must have one..There several hundred more, but if more effective i might invest in it anyways.Advice anyone?Thanks.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Wastegating all depends on how far you want to go with adding more fuel. 40PSI (+/- 5) as about the limit for a stock headgasket. After that point, fireringing and/or head studs become mandatory to keep the headgasket in place and contain the combustion with 40+ PSI.

I recommend getting it. There are external wastegate addons you can install, but its easier to just get the wastegated housing.

Dont get the HX-40 unless you have lots of fuel. Especially a stock HX-40. They are very prone to snapping the shaft. The HX-35 is a much better choice.

I have one question though. Manual or automatic transmission? This is a big variable on choosing exhaust housing size.

Manuals work best with a 12-14CM exhaust housing. (do to having to spool the turbo 5 times rather then once with the auto)
Automatics are best with a 16CM exhaust housing.