turbo upgrade

pottenza

Reaction score
hi everyone, i hope its not a already existing thread, if yes, just give me the link please!!

i have a E350 motorhome with a 7,3 with a banks non-wastegate turbo kit on it!!

anyone have a idea of a upgrade for the turbo? im looking for a turbo that can be bolt-on on this kit or have a minimal of modification!!

thank you!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel would be my guess too. Or Russ aka typ4 in Oregon. He rebuilds and improves on most turbos.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Also curious about this. My 6.9 has an early non wastegated Banks and it's a dog until it starts building boost around 2000 RPM. Would be nice to spool more quickly and maybe a few more psi. Not sure if there are any options for wheels on there or a more or less drop in turbo that would do better.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ did his compressor mod on my non gated Banks and the difference is like night and day.
I run abt. 2 lbs. down low, around 1000 rpm, step into it and it spools immediately, no lag.
With a stock ip turned up I used to be able to smoke out a highway,
now with no other mod than the turbo mod I get a cloud when I first get on it then it clears right up.
So far I've seen 14 lbs. boost before I lifted for fear of blowing a hg. That 14 lbs. came up real fast and showed no sign of stopping.
If you want whistle you'll like this mod. It turns into more of a scream at wot.
I also got a typ 4 cam which Russ says will compliment the turbo mod but right now I don't have the time to get the cam and studs installed.
This was all running empty.

Dennis

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I want a typ4 cam. I just do not have the time to install it.. Way too much of doing nothing round here keeps me busy...:rolleyes::angel:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha.yeah,you've got to pace yourself Gary.got that intercooler installed yet? :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. I'm remiss in doing that. I need to modify the hypermax intake hat to fit my Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo. I know I could install everything but that and maybe that would make me find a way to mod the hat..

pottenza

Reaction score
can anyone can give me a little more info about this modification that "typ4" do to the turbo and a idea of price and turn out time ?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Who is Russ and what is his mod? Is Russ type4 with the reground cams? Does he sell wheels to put on your turbo or send turbo to him and he works some magic? 14lbs? Is that a bit much for 6.9 head bolts? I'd like to do studs but that will wait until I do a ZF5 and so forth when it's convenient to pull the engine. I've heard about 10 psi is safe with stock 6.9 bolts and above that should be studs. I've seen 7 psi briefly under hard acceleration, cruises at about 2 psi at 2600 RPM on the highway. Feels like it comes alive around 5 psi but that takes some RPM and load.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ (typ 4) fits a larger compressor wheel, balance the assembly and machine the compressor housing for the larger wheel.
Price and turnaround, you'll have to contact Russ for that.

Dennis

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ is a neat guy that rebuilds turbos and sells great injectors. He is as honest as Mel is. They are both long time members of this forum and have a great rep. Talking with them is something you might want to record. They ahve so much information it just cn't be remembered after a talk. Take notes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online