Turbo sucking oil through the CDR?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, taking it apart to redo the valve cover gasket. I'm seeing quite a bit of oil on the wheel and in the cdr plumbing. How much, if any is normal?
Many thanks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally it’s pretty normal to see oil there but if it’s a pool then it’s too much, don’t want to have her runaway now

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intake tube, air box turbo anywhere really and I’ve always ran the truck with everything hooked up and taken the oil fill cap off, if there is blowby coming out but it goes away if you rev the engine then your cdr is fine.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
all my turboed idi engines always had a little puddle of oil in the boot going into the turbo. my current 88 f250 will fog the shop at idle with the intake unhooked from the turbo. shes got some extra blowby but not worried about run away.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems that all the old Navistar V8s acquired some blowby. Every IDI I've looked at has had some, and plenty of 7.3 powerstrokes as well. IDI's typically ran with more, I'd guess because of their high compression. Mine has it like a steaming kettle pot, so I'm running a Banks CDR adapter to my turbo intake and attaching the CDR there.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I've got mine just dumping out the bottom as a regular breather, but contrary to what I first thought, it does look like a major exhaust leak to other people. More than likely I'll end up tying it into the exhaust.