turbo removal??

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any where that shows you what steps to take to remove a ats turbo kit? This is not the factory kit but the one with the funny looking exhaust side on the turbo. Trying to take off and dont want to damage any thing.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Removing an 088?! Ohhhh boy :eek:

I don't think there are any step by step instructions but if it weren't for the slip couple the system would be fairly easy to remove.

Once the air filter housing is out of the way:

1. Remove the turbo oil feed line from the top of the turbocharger and move it out of the way.
2. unscrew the intake hat (one bolt)
3. unscrew the two bolts where the turbo attaches to the pedestal
4. Remove pyrometer probe.
(I'm not sure if it is nessacery but I like to remove the two bolts where the pedestal bolts to the intake manifold to help everything "loosen" up)

Now if you slip coupler isn't seized up you can wiggle the assembly around to free the turbo and pull it out. Be careful not to force anything as you could damage the studs on the bottom of the turbo.

Once removed you can:

5. Remove pedestal.
6. unbolt downpipe and remove.
7. unbolt the exhaust crosspipe and remove.
8. Remove y-coupler (passenger side up pipe).

That said there is a good chance your slip couple is seized up. Last two times I removed an 088 I had to unbolt the front of the cab and lift it so the whole thing could squeeze out with the up pipe still attached. It is not fun and you will need a good vocabulary that includes many F-bombs LOL Hope this helps,

Andrew

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above lifting the cab up 4 to 6 inches will help the turbo removel. If the down pipe is stuck in the turbo this is the only way to get enough room for it to easily come apart. A 4x4 or 4x6 block of wood works fine holding the cab up off the mounts. Others will chime in with other parts that need to be removed so the cab can be lifted.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad my 088 came off so easily. They are simple to take on/off once you get the hang of it you can have on off or on in about 10 minutes as long as they aren't rusted on.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. the down pipe is welded to the exhaust so I will have to cut some out to see if it will wiggle out. So when I get it out the up pipe hopefully will slip off or can it come up with the y attached?