Turbo questions

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I found a turbo about 5 hours away from me. The guy says it's an 085 ats it needs rebuilt. I was wondering if this good Turbo? He said he would sell it to me with everything for 350 and the valve covers off his motor. I'm not looking for crazy power but want some more on the big grades I go up when pulling my camper.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that this was the first ATS turbo built for our trucks. It's not wastegated so it will take more RPMs to build boost. They also didn't make a lot of boost in stock form. They may not have been the best, but it's still better than N/A.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One possible advantage of the older 085 is that it uses standard turbo components. The later 088 is more streamlined to install because of an exhaust housing that integrates the inlet for the turbine and outlet for the downpipe into one proprietary casting.

Here's the 085 (note the conventional hot side housing and T4 mounting flange):
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the 088 (note the integral exhaust housing with slip pipe connections):

And the 093 wastegated (same as factory turbo IDI, but with larger downpipe):

Last edited:

Skii

Reaction score
All I'm gonna say on this one is if you ever get a banks sidewinder and get to the point it needs a rebuild, good freakin luck. Hmu, cause I rebuilt mine, but holy cow was it hard to find parts. The banks turbos are Mitsubishi, and banks was the only one that got that exact turbo combo. Mine didnt have any I'd plates on it, so I was ******* into the wind trying to get the right parts, mixing and matching from different kits, all bought from Japan directly. Good turbo, but just buy american...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I'm gonna say on this one is if you ever get a banks sidewinder and get to the point it needs a rebuild, good freakin luck. Hmu, cause I rebuilt mine, but holy cow was it hard to find parts. The banks turbos are Mitsubishi, and banks was the only one that got that exact turbo combo. Mine didnt have any I'd plates on it, so I was ******* into the wind trying to get the right parts, mixing and matching from different kits, all bought from Japan directly. Good turbo, but just buy american...
That's the second gen Sidewinder, the wastegated one(TE06H turbo). The good news, though, is that you could always swap a new turbo on there - it uses a standard T3 up-pipe. An adaptor for the downpipe might be needed, though. I think that's what I'd do if I wear out one of my (wastegated)Sidewinders.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 PSD. So when I did the turbo for my IDI I figured they are both 7.3L, maybe Ford knew how to match a turbo to the engine, so I had a local shop build me an 01 PSD turbo. It seems to work well and is a standard Ford part.

I did have to do my own plumbing, but that is just welding a bunch of tubing. I did it all in stainless.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get that early ats I can rebuild and modify that for you to make more boost lower and you will like it for pulling your camper upgrades.
I can get rebuild parts for the banks wastegated Turbo but the compressor wheel is a machine in because it's a little bigger than the One banks used. It takes a little while to Source the parts but it is usually doable

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get that early ats I can rebuild and modify that for you to make more boost lower and you will like it for pulling your camper upgrades.
I can get rebuild parts for the banks wastegated Turbo but the compressor wheel is a machine in because it's a little bigger than the One banks used. It takes a little while to Source the parts but it is usually doable

Well after talking to the guy for a little while I think I will make the drive down to look at it. If everything is there I probably will get it then ship it to you for you to modify it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One question still the guy said the CDR was deleted and the tube from the intake was routed into the valve cover. Does this seem right? It doesn't sound like it should be like that.
it's not the end of the world. there's many ways to plumb in your own cdr system or if you are in a rural area, put in a road draft tube.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess he ran a road draft tube or something. Basically these engines create quite the blow by and its then routed back to the intake. I’m guessing he just dumped it from a tube. Some people do it, I just let my truck burn it; not going to say there’s a right or wrong because people will freak out. A little oil burned here or there doesn’t bother me.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's not the end of the world. there's many ways to plumb in your own cdr system or if you are in a rural area, put in a road draft tube.

Gotcha thanks for the reply I've just wonder I knew you could run a road draft tube. Guess I've never seen one before.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine doesn't care what you do with the crankcase gasses. Other people might... Don't go with a RDT unless you want the truck to look like it's on fire.

The only purpose of the CDR valve(vs just a hose right from the valve cover to the intake) is just to prevent sucking against the engine if the air filter gets clogged - preventing a runaway situation.