Turbo for 1990 idi

Kano

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to forum ,have been lurking for a while and have registered today. I bought a 1990 F-350 reg cab 4x4 about 4 months ago.It was in good shape when I bought it with very little rust(for a Canadian vehicle) and fairly sound mechanically. I am very happy with this truck and have been enjoying pecking away at little issues since I bought it .At this point it is running well and no longer leaking on my driveway. I love the simplicity of the idi and feel confident that I can learn (limited mechanical aptitude) to maintain this vehicle.
Only complaint is when I am towing either my 26 ft. 5th. wheel or my 18.5 foot boat. Hills are a challenge and since I live in the mountains of northern BC it is hard to avoid them. I have been told by local diesel guru that a turbo will "wake up my engine". I see that there are options (Banks,Hypermax,ATS,and CTS) for bolt on kits. If anyone on this forum knows where I can get a good used turbo in this region please let me know.
I have access to a 94 engine with factory turbo at a reasonable price. Why is this not as good an option as the other kits?
Any and all info is appreciated.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is a fine option and can be upgraded to give better low speed boost.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
it is a fine option and can be upgraded to give better low speed boost.

As posted. The turbo engine with a turbo on it is a great upgrade for your truck. Many feel the turbo engine is a fine upgrade too because it has better rods and pistons. Others don't feel that way. The turbo engine with the turbo will bolt in with no modifications. They are drilled the same on the blocks. Really nothing needs to be modified to fit. Well maybe just the turbo exhaust needs to be set to fit the non turbo exhaust. Thats no big deal for a muffler shop either. As for that factory turbo not being as good as the mentioned turbos.. Thats wrong. Its as good as those. I can't comment on the CTS turbo. I don't know anything bout those.
What are the rear end gears in your truck now. If they are 4.10 then a turbo will wake up you engine. So will a cam from typ4. He sells a great camshaft that brings in more bottom end torque. Also whats the mileage on the injecters and injection pump. If its around 125,000 miles its time to replace. Timing also has a lot to do with how well these engines run. We have a member that lives south of you that can time your engine if thats whats needed too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kano,

Welcome to OB and you'll find the site quite good, one thing how many miles/Km's on the truck? Do you know if the injection pump (IP) is original and how about the injectors? Replacement of those is also a great way to pick up some lost performance.

Same with a cam that can really wake things up a bit too.

Typ4 has a cam and he deals with Injecotors return line kits turbos and so forth.

Agnem does injecotrs, IP's and turbos too. He just released a new kit for the IDI and it's quite nice from what I've seen.

The factory turbo if you change out that stupid downpipe makes a good bit of difference. Read the FAQ and tech section especially for a how too run a 3" dp on the factory turbo setup.

There are actually several BC members here oddly enough, and if you get down this way, I'll throw the timing meter on your truck and check your timing if you like.

Again welcome to OB

Al

Kano

Reaction score
Riotwarrior,
Thanks for info. Truck has 244,000 kms and I think that IP and injectors are original. Truck spent most of its days in Vernon before I bought it. Would like info on installing factory turbo from 94 onto my truck.You say check Faq and Tech. Will do. Have friends in the Kootenays that I may visit soon my come your way.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riotwarrior,
Thanks for info. Truck has 244,000 kms and I think that IP and injectors are original. Truck spent most of its days in Vernon before I bought it. Would like info on installing factory turbo from 94 onto my truck.You say check Faq and Tech. Will do. Have friends in the Kootenays that I may visit soon my come your way.

Maybe might want to consider an IP and set of injectors then and if you can get that factory Turbo setup complete we could in all likelyhood depending on time etc and if I"m back working install it all here at my place and time the engine to boot!

Or we could do the IP and injectors and you can do the turbo later if you like...Or not LOL

Ya I'm just over from Osoyoos BC by about 20-25 minutes West of there.

Al