Turbo boost issues

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
So when i got my truck i noticed i didnt really make much turbo noise, and i seemed a litlle low on power so i went in search of vacum line leaks, i fixed them but i noticed now i have worse problems my turbo spools amazing now and i have alot of power until the engine revs over 2500 rpm then it looses all power starts rolling black smoke like crazy and wont shift up to the next gear for nothing, if i unplug the vacum line from the boost controller solenoid then its fine again no turbo whine or anything lower power but the engine revs out fine and shifts perfect??????

also can i unhooke the vaccum from the egr? and the sensor on the firewall with a vacum line whats that do?

Also i noticed if i run straight vacum to the wastegate to keep it closed all the time then i have the same issues i mentioned about great power and turbo noise untill 2500 rpm then no power tons of black smoke and wont shift unless i let out of the pedal and dont get over half throttle

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
so that will fix all my problems? what i dont understand is if i plug it up to were the wastegate wont open then why after it gets over 2500 rpm it starts rolling coal looses power and wont shift up?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM in their own twisted brilliance, figured that instead of the conventional means of a spring loaded wastegate with boost pressure overcoming the spring that using vac to hold the wastegate closed was a good idea. still, any hint of pressure against the wastegate will pop it hence the rpm's above 2500 was popping the wastegate and you now have raw fuel going out the pipe.
get the heath diesel kit and install it. do it and you will be happier with your truck. or do like you have done in the past and ignore what I have to say and learn by grenading yet another motor. trust me... it's no skin off my balls.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
here is the only thing i have against that theory, if i unplug it were the wastegate doesnt work so the truck builds no boost then its fine, if i hook vacum up to were it should boost to the moon is when i get the huge black smoke issue, so if its a problem were it popping the wastegate open then why dont it happen when i actually let the wastegate stay wide open? it dont pour excessive black smoke when i have 0 boost?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have borg technology on that truck. the pump is a computer controlled DS4 unit. Ask the programer that question.
better yet, call up Heath diesel and ask the tech dept that question.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your probably not getting black smoke with the wg blocked open cuz your afrc is not letting your fuel open either ..

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
here is the only thing i have against that theory, if i unplug it were the wastegate doesnt work so the truck builds no boost then its fine, if i hook vacum up to were it should boost to the moon is when i get the huge black smoke issue, so if its a problem were it popping the wastegate open then why dont it happen when i actually let the wastegate stay wide open? it dont pour excessive black smoke when i have 0 boost?

you would be much better off to scrap the gm turbo garbage a put on a holset Wh1c or a hx-35, both require a bit of work but are night and day.... the gm turbo is about 2 sizes too small, so at 2500 + rpms all it does is hit a back pressure wall and pump heat... this is the biggest reason that the 6.5l crack mains and blow head gaskets.... to install the holset you will need to buy or build a new un-crushed downpipe ( look close if it is the OEM, you will be shocked) and then a shorty adapter from gm to holset( or just build a holset specific down-pipe)... cut about 3/4" off the intake hat, buy the oil line adapter, and cut the oil drain pipe and replace the section in the center with a short piece of hose outside the exhaust manifold, and change to a 4" filter and inlet... here are some comparison pictures of the holset and the gm-x turbo housings... the first pic is what the kit looks like to swap when you have the gm downpipe...

Attachments

• DSCF0025.JPG
    DSCF0025.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0101.JPG
    DSCF0101.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0103.JPG
    DSCF0103.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0102.JPG
    DSCF0102.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 6

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score

does the waste gate lever move freely when the truck is shut off?

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Your thinking in reverse .... when you uunplug it your waste gate is not working that is when you are geting boost ... your controller is , for whatever reason , dumping your waste gate too early and not lettijng it build proper boost ... when you unplug it it cant waste or by-pass

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and make sure it moves free with truck off and is held solid with truck at idle.

Could be a sticking WG actuator or a faulty solenoid causing over boost (although most solenoids die and cause a no boost situation). An overboost code in the pcm would not always cause a CEL and the PCM's response to this would be to cut the boost first and then ramp down the fuel, this would cause the smoke cloud.

I dont see any specs for this truck in your sig, yr and set up would help. Things like plug cat converter from no boost and bad egr could cause problems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online