Tune-ups do wonders

Meta6981

Reaction score
Just tuned up the old girl and what a difference it made in acceleration. She is running alot better and seems alot happier. I think timing set did alot too for the idle, I also had a few things tweaked which helped on the quickness of it. Overall good things, now all I have to do is plop (install) a few gauges in there (pyro and boost) and will tune her up somemore. Let me know what you all think or if anyone else has tuned thier rides a bit. But I am also curious as why she is hard to start sometimes, usually I have to fully depress the accelorator twice and she fires right up.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every diesel I've ever owned, you have to hold the accelerator to start when the engine's cold. It's the nature of the beast IMHO.

After a few tankings, it'll be interesting to see how your fuel economy's affected by the tweaking, as compared to what it was before. Of course, laying off the right pedal will help in regards to that as well ;Poke LOL :D

Meta6981

Reaction score
i have been getting really good mi alge lately been taking it nice and slow not going faster than 70 and taking it easy. YOU shot my milage for this time, and i am a bit interested in seeing this too. BUt as to nature of the beast seth's beast starts with no problems.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The importance of valave adjustments cannot be stressed too much.
My friend has a 1980 300CD, no turbo 5 cyl. It was a dog. He drove it,but really didn't enjoy it, it was very sluggish.
I did a valve adjustment--they weren't too bad. A couple were a little snug, but not much---or so I thought.
He can't thank me enough as the car now is much more enjoyable to drive. Not as quick as his 1985 300TD, but almost.
Don't ignore those valves.

Meta6981

Reaction score
Well the valves get adjusted regulary, but one got knocked out of adjustment because i did some high RPM mountain road driving of which my car is not usually accostomed as i am not so that might be the cause b ut there was a horrible valve tick so i got them readjusted and all is well although i recently filled up with BIO and the changed to biological that they derive the fuel from and its a little less power.

Meta6981

Reaction score
What kinda crack is that towards my car. And it was $3.31. Now unless you haven't already you have to fill out a form and get a little membership card thing to fill with bio now as it is an "experimental" fuel. Costs nothing and takes like two minates to fill out.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meta6981 said:
What kinda crack is that towards my car.
That wasn't a crack towards your car...it was a crack towards your driving ;)

And interesting...they want to track us ;)

Rotten Robbie was at $3.25 as of last week; hopefully it's still there...I paid $125 to fuel up the truck last week -cuss

Meta6981

Reaction score
The Warden said:
Helga's not used to high RPM's?!? :rotflmao
Ahhh gotcha not constant see there is a difference between accelerating high RPM's and constant hill RPM. But still don't disrespect my vehicle :draw :D I know its because ur jealous ;Poke

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never disrespecting your vehicle...Helga's a great car, and I've never said otherwise.

Your driving habits/skills, OTOH... ;Poke :rotflmao

Meta6981

Reaction score
Well I follow most of the rules of the road and traffic laws, More so than nate... BTW on the last tank I still got 22 MPG.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meta6981 said:
Well I follow most of the rules of the road and traffic laws, More so than nate...
That's like saying that Slobodan Milosevic followed international law better than Saddam Hussein did. :D

BTW, the only time I've ever gotten less than 25 mpg was with a fuel leak or when the a/c compressor was starting to die... ;)

Meta6981

Reaction score
well i have only ever gotten around 22 MPG in that car since i have had it. And that includes driving it very nicely when i had the bad valve lash. my gears are lower than yours as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online