TTB VS Solid front axle

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I've pretty much decided to pirate parts from my '77 project to build a 4 door bronco and do the '77 later, but I'm weighing a D60 front VS a TTB front, if it was intended to be an off road truck I'd just find a 60, but my drive home is 8 miles of twisty bad road, and I love the ride of my coil sprung 2 wheel drive, so I'm considering using a coil sprung TTB from a bronco to get a more comftorable ride but maintain 4 wheel drive for snow and muddy roads, I've heard horror stories about TTB, always loved mine, are the problems I hear of from worn out components? Am I missing something here? I'd drive it more if it doesn't ride like a buck board :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both are miserable in ride quality.
D50 ttb is marginally better.
i do the polyurethane pivot bushings and rubber spring bushings to get slightly better handling.
D60 will plain beat the crap out of you.
i get a daily dose of F450 punishment and it's a close cousin to the D60.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I have had a f150 but I always liked the way it rode. I have a parts truck that I am thinking of using the chassis from for my truck since it has 3.08 gears. I will have the gearing I want, softer ride, and finally my bed will look normal against the cab. The only down side is that its weaker and might sag with a diesel in the engine bay. I think that can be compensated for though.

I love the way the d60 I used to have was with tires but on the other hand it could jar your teeth loose on a long bumpy road. I used to lower my tires down just to get some suspension feel back. My ttb dana 50 that I have right now does pretty good but I sure wish we had a more advanced suspension at times. Less parts to wear out with a solid front for sure just by the design itself. I haven't drove a 1 ton dodge with the coil springs but my dads 1/2 ton that is coil sprung and solid front axle rode nice.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I have considered using slightly softer springs up front with air bag helpers or air shocks for adjustibility on the fly, most likely out back I would use my old airbags, I loved keeping the factory ride on my '92 with the ability to tow or haul all I want without draging my ass or attracting from the local corruption professionals :rotflmao

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I have had a f150 but I always liked the way it rode. I have a parts truck that I am thinking of using the chassis from for my truck since it has 3.08 gears. I will have the gearing I want, softer ride, and finally my bed will look normal against the cab. The only down side is that its weaker and might sag with a diesel in the engine bay. I think that can be compensated for though.

I love the way the d60 I used to have was with tires but on the other hand it could jar your teeth loose on a long bumpy road. I used to lower my tires down just to get some suspension feel back. My ttb dana 50 that I have right now does pretty good but I sure wish we had a more advanced suspension at times. Less parts to wear out with a solid front for sure just by the design itself. I haven't drove a 1 ton dodge with the coil springs but my dads 1/2 ton that is coil sprung and solid front axle rode nice.

more parts to wear out with a TTB over the solid axle. the only extra frt end parts on the ford TTB is the axle pivot bushings and an extra u-joint, everything else is the same as a solid axle. ford basicly took a solid axle and cut it in half, added 2 bushings and u-joint and called it a day. if you used that statement with a solid axle verses a IFS on a chevy and dodge, id agree fully, but with ford only adding 2 bushing and a u-joint i dont think that argument should be used here.

Sweet 7.3

Reaction score
my 2 cents, for what its worth

I have both. The TTB Dana 50 and a straight axle D60 w 35 in tires. The long springs on the front of the D60 ride nice and are suprisingly comfortable. Long springs being that of F350 rear springs in the front w a SKies offroad SAS kit

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Having a truck that started life as a factory F250 with TTB and then being hacked out for a D60...I vote D60.

My D50 ate outer tire edges like I drink beer. It was lined up and everything, but parts were harder to replace (inner pivot bushings and that crap)

With the D60 I didn't notice a bad ride versus the D50...BUT I just did a complete rebuild on my D60 and it was WAY easier than the D50.

Also, I lined up my D60 with a measuring tape....it's damn near perfection!!

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
As a former ASE Alignment tech, I knew every TTB was going to wear tires if the truck was USED at all. Drive it back and forth to work, no biggie, but tow, haul, or work the truck, and they always wore tires.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having a truck that started life as a factory F250 with TTB and then being hacked out for a D60...I vote D60.

My D50 ate outer tire edges like I drink beer. It was lined up and everything, but parts were harder to replace (inner pivot bushings and that crap)

With the D60 I didn't notice a bad ride versus the D50...BUT I just did a complete rebuild on my D60 and it was WAY easier than the D50.

Also, I lined up my D60 with a measuring tape....it's damn near perfection!!
I have a 18k gvw alignment rack to play with;Sweet
putting these camber caster adjusters in will cut down on the truck's thirst for tires. they're good of +/-2.5deg camber/caster adjustment:D

Attachments

• SL372364.JPG
    SL372364.JPG
    859.1 KB · Views: 20

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more parts to wear out with a TTB over the solid axle. the only extra frt end parts on the ford TTB is the axle pivot bushings and an extra u-joint, everything else is the same as a solid axle. ford basicly took a solid axle and cut it in half, added 2 bushings and u-joint and called it a day. if you used that statement with a solid axle verses a IFS on a chevy and dodge, id agree fully, but with ford only adding 2 bushing and a u-joint i dont think that argument should be used here.

I fully understand the difference between the two axles I was just stating that there are more parts to wear out on a ttb than a solid and its true. I am not saying I like one more than the other and in fact am happy with the ttb. I was referring to the coil sprung ttb also with the fact that it has radius arms with the pivot bushing. Anyways things must be getting slow today to take what I said as an argument.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
putting these camber caster adjusters in will cut down on the truck's thirst for tires. they're good of +/-2.5deg camber/caster adjustment:D

those are the cats meow:D I NEVR put a non adjustable bushing in when i did alignments

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score

There's an ace that I can keep ;Sweet sounds like a deal sealer!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully understand the difference between the two axles I was just stating that there are more parts to wear out on a ttb than a solid and its true. I am not saying I like one more than the other and in fact am happy with the ttb. I was referring to the coil sprung ttb also with the fact that it has radius arms with the pivot bushing. Anyways things must be getting slow today to take what I said as an argument.

im not trying to argue. im just stating that i always here about how hard the TTB is to work on and theres more parts to wear out. i was also stating that theres only 3 extra parts to the TTB then a reg solid axle. but if we were talking about the F150 with TTB, yes they do have radius arms, just like the 79 and eariler solid frt axles under fords, which still the TTB only adds 2 pivot bushings and 1 u-joint. im not trying to argue, and i read it three times to make sure it didnt sound that way, but take it as it is, just explaining that there the same to work on and only 3 extra parts to rarely deal with.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt everything under the frt end and replaced every frt and rear bushing under the trk with poly bushings, even body mount bushings. its an ex cab long bed. i also added 2" add-a-leafs and to tell you the truth, i pefer the way it rides more then my 2wd 96 F150. my F150 has been lowered with frt lowering springs and rear spring hangers, and also has lightning rear leafs, but in my opinion my F350 rides much better. my F350 started life as an 85 model with a dana 50 TTB.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive had several of both, when the ttb is setup correctly I prefer them. the adjustable upper bushings are a must. but if you need brute strength a 60 is the only way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online