Truck won't start

aaklingler

Reaction score
I bought a 95 that had been rolled and now I can't get it started. It cranks, It has fuel in the bowl and I believe it's pumping. When I hook the batteries up the theft light blinks for a while then goes out, is that normal? Are there any inertia type switches? Also, while I'm cranking the tach doesn't move and I don't notice any smoke. The PO said he had it running after it was rolled but it ran rough. It also has oil running out the exhaust but the pan is full. Anybody got any ideas on how to get it running?
Allen

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'd start with a cam sensor and go from there....Check all your fuses and make sure the fuel heater is unhooked or just check the fuse for it...Basic's first - could be something cheap.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I checked the fuses, there was a bad 30 amp maxi but I think it's for the trailer battery. I changed the cps. I opened the fuel filter and there was ice in there, I cleaned the ice out, drained the fuel out, put a new filter in and it filled it back up. I've had the block heater plugged in. I tried starting it, cranked for 10 seconds with the tach dead and then it started and the tach started working. It stayed running for 10 minutes or so, but its really rough.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get diesel 911 put it in the filter and in the tank, also i would change the fuel filter, it the lift pump leaking?

aaklingler

Reaction score
I changed the fuel filter and I haven't seen the lift pump leaking, where do they leak at? I think I also unplugged the fuel heater, is it the top one on the driverside with the spade connector? What the bottom one for that is a push on?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the heater is half way down on the dr side, one right below it is wif, and if there is one way on the bottom that is fuel filter light.
Id put some 911 in, lines may be froze from the tanks

aaklingler

Reaction score
It stayed running, just wasn't running right, is there any damage it could have done after the filter?

aaklingler

Reaction score
I put half a bottle of fppf fuel additive in the filter bowl and split the other half between the tanks. The truck started, tach still dead until it fires, ran for 30 sec. or so and shut off. All it will do since then is fire for a sec.

yoslick

Reaction score
no, electrical injectors don't need to be bled, I'd say you got some really bad fuel with water in them tanks and your gonna have to get it out some how

aaklingler

Reaction score
It will fire for a sec about every time I try to start it and it does smoke at least some of the time. I find it hard to believe that the fuel is so bad that it won't start since the PO was driving it with this fuel and it's only a month old, but I guess its possible.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I drained the fuel bowl and refilled it with different diesel fuel. After a little cranking it fired up but it sounds like it has a dead cylinder with a top tap. I ran it for probable 5 minutes. It also smokes pretty heavy white and or blue. When I try picking up the rpms it will come up to 2000 about normal but won't go any higher.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Let it run up to temp to see if the miss/smoke goes away - if it does then you likely have some bad UVCH or a bad injector. My 97 PSD did the same thing - warm it up and it smoothed right out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online