Truck wont start. Fuel pump?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
My glow plugs work, I have plenty of battery, and the starter cranks awesome, its 45 degrees and misty rain (I live in NC). I get some smoke when cranking, but still nothing. It has tried for like 1 second here and there while cranking. I have even resorted to a little bit of ether and it still doesn't even crack over for a bit. I am thinking its the fuel pump and here is why.

I just changed the batteries the other day and it started after much coaxing. Previously though I had to battle those batteries because they were so bad I had to keep charging them and trying to start it. And I did a whole bunch of cranking during that time. The mechanical pump is about 3 years old. I am thinking that all that unnecessary pumping is what killed it. And I accidently ran the front tank dry a few times recently because the fsv was broke (I no longer have the issue and am on rear tank only (not sure if that would influence the situation)). At this point I have no idea what the issue is. The fuel filter is fairly new. Could it have waxed over? I will be able to work on it all day tomorrow if anyone has any ideas.

Also I plan on going to electric pump sooner than later.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked to see if you are getting fuel at the filter head or cracked any injector lines at the injectors?

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a schrader valve on the drivers side top of the filter head.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your getting power to the IP. You can always take the feed line off the filter head and make sure your getting flow.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Make sure your getting power to the IP. You can always take the feed line off the filter head and make sure your getting flow.

Power to the IP? Isnt it all mechanical? Or do you mean the fuel shutoff valve? I am going to crack that schrader valve and have someone crank it for me. See what that does. Then I will report back. Hopefully its nothing big.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The power wire to the top of the injection pump is whats being referred to here. Its the large spade fitting nearest the radiator on the injection pump top. turn on the key and remove the wire. You will hear a click if the fuel shutoff solenoid is working in the injection pump. As for cracking the schrader valve on the filter thats easy. Just switch on the ignition switch and jumper the passenger side fender mounted solenoid to crank the engine. Press in the valve on the top of the filter. The schrader valve is nothing more than what you find on any tire on a bike, car or truck. Have a rag ready to catch the fuel or if the engine is filthy and you don't care then let it wash off some dirt. Any fuel that drains into the pan under the injection pump will run out the back of the block and down over the starter. It can't run down the drivers side of the engine because the drain back there onlt runs to the passenger side. It can really make a mess at the starter yoo.

gandalf

Reaction score
The information above is pretty good. I'm guessing by this time you've verified fuel flow into the IP by cracking the schader valve.

I'm not convinced that it's a fuel flow problem. You stated in your initial post that the exhaust smokes when you crank the engine. It smokes but will not fire. I think that smoke is probably atomized, unburned, fuel. If that's the case, then fuel flow is not the problem.

What every engine needs in order to run is fuel, air, and fire, all in the proper order at the proper time. Air is no problem here, easy to verify. If you have fuel flow, then that leaves timing. If the timing on these engines is off a bit, they don't run as well as they should. If the timing is off further, they run like crap. If the timing is way off, they don't run. You need a proper timing meter to do the timing properly.

Please list for us any and all maintenance you've done on your truck in the last six months. That may point toward the problem.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
The power wire to the top of the injection pump is whats being referred to here. Its the large spade fitting nearest the radiator on the injection pump top. turn on the key and remove the wire. You will hear a click if the fuel shutoff solenoid is working in the injection pump. As for cracking the schrader valve on the filter thats easy. Just switch on the ignition switch and jumper the passenger side fender mounted solenoid to crank the engine. Press in the valve on the top of the filter. The schrader valve is nothing more than what you find on any tire on a bike, car or truck. Have a rag ready to catch the fuel or if the engine is filthy and you don't care then let it wash off some dirt. Any fuel that drains into the pan under the injection pump will run out the back of the block and down over the starter. It can't run down the drivers side of the engine because the drain back there onlt runs to the passenger side. It can really make a mess at the starter yoo.

Did exactly as you said. Heard the click and all was well there. And I had plenty of fuel coming out of the valve. I am guessing its just not enough fuel or something. But I got it started.

The information above is pretty good. I'm guessing by this time you've verified fuel flow into the IP by cracking the schader valve.

I'm not convinced that it's a fuel flow problem. You stated in your initial post that the exhaust smokes when you crank the engine. It smokes but will not fire. I think that smoke is probably atomized, unburned, fuel. If that's the case, then fuel flow is not the problem.

What every engine needs in order to run is fuel, air, and fire, all in the proper order at the proper time. Air is no problem here, easy to verify. If you have fuel flow, then that leaves timing. If the timing on these engines is off a bit, they don't run as well as they should. If the timing is off further, they run like crap. If the timing is way off, they don't run. You need a proper timing meter to do the timing properly.

Please list for us any and all maintenance you've done on your truck in the last six months. That may point toward the problem.

icanfixall knows these things better than the engineers. gandalf you are probably on to something or probably right. I will have the timing checked. And I have only done an oil change and converted to rear tank only in the last 6 months.

Like I said I got it to run. But not the way I wanted to. I had to use more ether than I was comfortable with and it finally cracked over enough to start. And it runs fine now. How big of a deal is weather to how these trucks run? Because its in the low 50's and misty rain again. Here is a pic of what it looks like shortly after it started. The smoke is all cleared up now though. I really do not want to keep using ether to start this thing whenever it gets cold. Also my fuel heater is not plugged in. How much of a difference do those make?

Attachments

• IMG_20141223_133017.jpg
    IMG_20141223_133017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did the same thing when I had weak batteries. just a thought it might be worth getting them checked.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard and read on here the fuel heater is one step above worthless. Many have removed them and tapped the filter head for a pipe plug.

I'm no expert, but to me seems like it may be time for an injection pump...................

JM2CW

Edit: My truck can start without being plugged in down to 20 or even lower. It does have a fresh fuel system, new gp's, and group 31 batts. Sure it may take a half-second more cranking time but she starts. And since you're sure your glowplugs are functioning correctly the only thing left is the fuel system IMHO

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
The injection pump isn't very old. Maybe 4 years. Also after it gets started it runs great and starts right up again. In thinking air intrusion could be it since the mechanical pump was working. But I don't have any visible leaks. I'll have to wait until it's dry outside to check that out.

gandalf

Reaction score
... But I don't have any visible leaks. I'll have to wait until it's dry outside to check that out.

You're aware, aren't you, that air will leak in before fuel will leak out? Just because fuel isn't leaking out doesn't mean that air isn't leaking in.

This is one of the reasons some of us have gray hair, and some even have no hair. :rolleyes:;p

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As was previously mentioned, if you have smoke at the tailpipe, your problem is not fuel. What you lack is heat. You may THINK your glow plugs are working, but I would challenge you to prove it to yourself.