truck wont crank

turbobrick563

Reaction score
alright well what happened was we started the truck up and moved it 10 feet into the driveway to we could bleed the rear brakes bc i just changed the lines. after that we moved it back to the spot next to the driveway and tried to drop the plow. no clue how to do it so we called our buddy who used to own the truck. he didnt pick up so we shut the truck off. 5 mins later we realized the right way to do it, so i hop in go to start and nothing. all the lights work, just no crank. we can hear the starter soleniod working but we put a new one on anyways, same thing. even when we jump the solenoid. starter was replaced 2 years ago. no fuses are bad. anyone know where to look from here? we beat the starter with a hammer and still nothing. kinda stumped on this one. before all this the starter sounded fine and not weak in anyway.

turbobrick563

Reaction score
Battery connections is my guess. Clean all of them and try again.

they all looked good. one of the first things we checked, the cables are only a year old and the batts arent that old either. were going to try and clean all the ground connections and go from there, but ill take another look at the battery connections just to make sure. if none of that works i guess its time to take the starter out and test it out of the truck to see if it works. this truck just loves to be worked on tho lmao. havent even registered or driven the thing and ive replaced 2 brake lines, glow plugs,spent an hour trying to get the plow to work, and it needs an fuel return line kit. but hey cant complain for a 1500 dollar truck, plus we know the history of this truck since it rolled off the line.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Bet it's the starter. You said it needs a return line kit, and you already changed gp's, so I know you've been doing some long cranking.
I would venture to say a brush lead burnt off. That's what happened on my PSD.
But you should be able to hear a difference in a bad connection click, and the solenoid thump.
Mine was corroded internally. Would usually start, and could always hear the thud, it just wouldn't always pass current.

I would also try to turn the engine over by hand. (Socket on crank pulley with a breaker)

turbobrick563

Reaction score
Bet it's the starter. You said it needs a return line kit, and you already changed gp's, so I know you've been doing some long cranking.
I would venture to say a brush lead burnt off. That's what happened on my PSD.
But you should be able to hear a difference in a bad connection click, and the solenoid thump.
Mine was corroded internally. Would usually start, and could always hear the thud, it just wouldn't always pass current.

I would also try to turn the engine over by hand. (Socket on crank pulley with a breaker)

yea i will agree it sounds like a bad starter. but really we havent been cranking it that much. before i replaced the glows we just shot some ether and it started right up. id say now it cranks for maybe 10 seconds when cold. which is bc of the leaking return id guess. ill start looking at everything tommorow. its just wierd bc it was cranking fine and fast just before this. but ill let everyone know what it was when i figure it out this weekend.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 seconds everytime you start from cold is pretty ******* a starter. Keep in mind: you aren't cranking a 8 or 9:1 compression gasoline engine as the compression ratio is about double that. These starters get really hot if you crank them a lot, so I've got to agree with the starter hypothesis.

Good luck in any event, and if you do need to remove the starter do a search on it as there's a pretty good write up on how to use some extensions to get to the bolts easier.

turbobrick563

Reaction score
10 seconds everytime you start from cold is pretty ******* a starter. Keep in mind: you aren't cranking a 8 or 9:1 compression gasoline engine as the compression ratio is about double that. These starters get really hot if you crank them a lot, so I've got to agree with the starter hypothesis.

Good luck in any event, and if you do need to remove the starter do a search on it as there's a pretty good write up on how to use some extensions to get to the bolts easier.

now that you say that im pretty sure our buddy that we got the truck from was cranking it alot trying to figure out why it wouldnt start. so i guess all the long cranking he did plus the little bit that i did just killed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin