truck won its first race :)

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine got a new truck, i beleive 93, idi n/a, he said it had a new engine in it. 5 speed, and his gears are higher than my 4:10's, so maybe 3:55? And he has 35" tires. and we raced from a 15 kick, i took off in second and beat him pretty good, about 65mph i was several truck lengths ahead. I have a ram air and pumped turned up 2 flats. it made me happy LOL

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I participated in a similar race myself, only it was my truck when it was stock against my friends TDI Jetta. We were neck and neck running up a 2 lane on-ramp that merged to one lane. I won because he didn't want to challenge me for the lane given the size difference:sly
Travis..

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I've won a few, and lost a few. The ones I've lost were against newer trucks, but it doesn't mean I didn't try. It's funny to watch a newer truck running necks to neck with an old IDI up to about 45 mph even when I lose. Good job though.

the90

Reaction score
These old idi's are not as slow as some people think. People call them turds but when my non-turbo 7.3 pulled up to my buddies old 12 valve cummins and we raced that thing was no ****. Lets just say i thought less of cummins for that day.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i think my idi moves pretty well to weigh in at 7060 pounds i can smoke the tires and wheel hop really good in first on dry pavement and make her catch 2nd most days, and i have 33 inch buckshot maxxis mudders

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling out onto the main road from my place is about a 6% grade hill. My 93 without standing on the throttle reaches about 50 by the time I reach the top. My 06 6.0 needs more throttle to acheive the same speed at the top of the hill from a standing start. On the other hand if I really nailed the throttle the IDI might be doing 65 where the 6.0 would be doing 90+ at the peak of the hill. But from a dead stop in normal driving conditions the IDI actually feels faster up to about 45-50mph.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
But from a dead stop in normal driving conditions the IDI actually feels faster up to about 45-50mph.

That's what I think. The newer trucks have higher rpm limits and different gearing, so they always get me in the top end. Light to light, I'll leave them behind everytime. ;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
That's what I think. The newer trucks have higher rpm limits and different gearing, so they always get me in the top end. Light to light, I'll leave them behind everytime. ;Sweet

hmmmm whats yours limited at? cause my idi will turn 3800:sly, and most the psd guys i talked to said theres turns between 34-3600:dunno

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
hmmmm whats yours limited at?

I've gotten mine up to 3,500 rpms and still haven't hit the "limit", but I am starving the engine for fuel after about 3,200 rpms with the turbo. I have the pump up two flats and tried two more, but four was too much smoke. I got stopped before I could see how high the rpms would go. I turned it back down two flats (leaving it up two flats from original), but might turn it up another flat after court. :sly

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I've gotten mine up to 3,500 rpms and still haven't hit the "limit", but I am starving the engine for fuel after about 3,200 rpms with the turbo. I have the pump up two flats and tried two more, but four was too much smoke. I got stopped before I could see how high the rpms would go. I turned it back down two flats (leaving it up two flats from original), but might turn it up another flat after court. :sly

i guess it suck to live were you live, all the people here love to see the black smoke pour, there is no laws about it, hell the cops here will pull out on the road and melt the tires offLOL i love my small town:sly

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
i have raced plenty of trucks and ricers i have won my fair share and lost my fair share. the one i am most proud of is whoopin ass on a chevelle with a stock 350. the only reason i won that one was because he couldnt drive to save his life. Heck i raced my friends 87 half ton chevy with a 350 and lost horribly the first time because i didnt maintain traction(burnt the the mudders on the back through second and into third) the second and third time i was a little easier on the go pedal before the dump and won by a nose

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when my truck was N/A, I could usually run with even the latest diesels out there for the first few seconds and it was rare that I wasn't first off the line. The big difference is the newer trucks WILL NOT MOVE, until you get the turbo to spool. Our engines were designed to run N/A, so all the fuel is on tap right off the line. Lower peak torque also means that you are moving off the line that much faster. I would typically get caught by 30-35 MPH. Once rolling its really hard to beat a turbo diesel with a naturally aspirated diesel.

It would still peg the speedo fairly easily, but after about 30 MPH, the seat sucking grunt was gone. Up to 55 MPH was still comfortable, but by the time you get to 70, up 5% with a mild head wind, holding speed is usually the best you can expect.

Back then I could just barely hold 70 at 2450 RPM (TC slip) on 5%. Now that number is closer to 1600 with a little more performance.

Oh, and I did smoke a jetta TDI the other day. Considering they are built for MPG cruising, thats not saying much though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online