Truck start then stop, crank lots then runs!

winger

Reaction score
I have an 88 f250 plow rig with a 7.3 idi in it. The truck runs great after i get it started but it seems after being left over night that the fuel drains out of the injector lines and it fires up for about 2 seconds and then dies. Then after about another minute of cranking the fuel primes back up and then she starts up and runs. Is there a check valve in the fuel system that needs attention or would it be leaking return lines? Just need an idea on where to look. Thanks.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic symptom of an air leak in the fuel system. If you don't know when the return lines were last replaced, you would do well to get a new return line kit and install it preemptively. If you get it from Russ (typ4), you can also get new olives (seals on the metal low-pressure lines). The kit will include new O-rings for the injectors and new plastic T-fittings that fit over the injectors and O-rings. Replace everything, and you should be good to go ;Sweet

Before the new kit gets there, take a look at the return line going from the lines at the injectors to the fuel filter. I had a massive crack in this line once; I was able to cut the line to the crack, re-install it, and was able to get by for a while longer.

Hope this helps ;Sweet

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Do the return kit first. If you're going to order a kit from Russ (and I highly recommend that you do) ask him to include the olives, and replace those as well while you are in there.

If you've still got air intrusion after that, a few more things to check:

The short rubber fuel line that connects the hardline from the tank to the lift pump. That's a sneaky spot that leaks often.

There is a check valve on the filter head. The fitting where the return caps connect to the filter head. Take that off and if you can see light through it, it's done.

Fuel heater o-rings. There's a youtube video that shows disassembly for that (VERY easy)

winger

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing has ever been touched on this truck regarding the fuel system in its 315000 km life as of yet. It's only a plow truck now (used to be a work rig) like that's any better on it. But I think it's time for a bit of love! Maybe a couple fuel tank too since they both leak. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online