Truck engine dies on de-Acceleration

Alaskaman

Reaction score
Just started doing this yesterday. Whether I just rev up the engine or de-accerate while down shifting to a lower gear the engine dies.

It does start right back up without problems. Runs and drives just fine, just don't take your foot off the fuel pedal very quickly.

The truck is the 1993 with a 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo. 5 speed manual transmission.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So every thing runs fine? no change in performance? I ask because I got a bunch of water in my fuel one trip and the truch started pulling that crap and I had to dose my fuel with some 911 and stop and drain my separator every 75 miles for 1200 miles till I got home but my truck was a little doggy amd sputtered every few min

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is probably sticking in your injection pump. I've heard of people with this problem solving it using the "ATF trick". Fill a clean fuel filter with ATF and install it, start the truck and let it run until it starts to run rough and then shut it down. Let it sit 24 hours, then fire it up and drive it like you stole it. If there's any gunk inside the IP, that should help clean it up.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to think about it my dad had an old 6.2 Chevy that would stall out on him and he would pull the top off the injection pump and flick at it a few min put it back together and it would run fine but the atf trick is good stuff works better if the truck is warm when you do it and I dose my tank Everytime I fill up with a quart of the stuff

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Metering valve in the pump is sticking. Has the truck been sitting? Run some atf, or other cleaner through the pump. Fill a new filter with atf, or diesel clean, sea foam, etc, let the truck run until the sound of it running changes. Shut it down, and let it sit overnight. Fire it up in the morning and drive it like you stole it. Hopefully this will clean the sticking valve and it won’t die like that.

Alaskaman

Reaction score
I'll pick up a new filter today and try it.

Just for clarification, I fill the filter all the way with ATF and the truck will run on ATF? Will it harm the injectors?

Would it be okay or better to mix the ATF with Sea-Foam?

Thank you "all" for your help in this matter.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it will run on atf or seafoam. Actually it will run on almost anything that isn’t gasoline. Oil, vegetable oil, some other “solvents”, kerosene, jet fuel. Now some of those are dry and have little to no lubricity, others are better lubricity than pump diesel. I’ve even run my old 91 Jetta straight out of a quart of 2-cycle oil.....

Doing this treatment won’t hurt the injectors. You can mix it if you like. If I went and bought seafoam, I’d use just it.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes fill the filter with atf and it is safe atf has a lot of detergents and lubrication that's why you let it sit to clean all the gunk out of the fuel system

Alaskaman

Reaction score
An update . . . The correct filter wasn't available locally, but Amazon will have it here on or before Friday.

BTW the truck had been sitting for quite a while before I bought it. I took the old filter off today and there was water & rust in the filter. Not good!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you caught it I hope you don't have a bunch of water in your fuel tank the water is ******* the injection pump

Alaskaman

Reaction score
Living in Alaska for 26 years I learned the value of "HEET" (the red bottle) to keep water out. When I bought the truck the first thing I did was was add some HEET and Diesel Kleen to both tanks to help remove water and any algae.

I'm sure it helped, but my fault for not changing the fuel filter immediately!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but for me at least if the water in fuel light didn't come on I would have felt that some heet and diesel kleen was more than enough especially if it was running good on the test drive