truck down need help

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
ok i got my truck back from the body shop today it was there for about 5 months. so i went out there looks amazing will post pics soon but its a 1985 6.9 f250 dually factory. i went to start is batterys bad so to bran new batterys. i tryed to start it just truns over and over and over even with eather wont run. So i pulled start it fired right up ran ok. worst than i remember but ran smoked alot . so i took off i ran great for about a mile then started losing power but still pulled it self i shut it off at local parts store came back out still just tuns over and over wont start with out pull starting so i did and ran ok went over to my house pulled fuel fliter it was orange and had about half water in it so i know got water in fuel so replaced filter now will run for about 5 mins then just die down and out. ian going to drop tank this week end but any other ideas really help thanks guys :dunno:dunno:dunno

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
You might have a bad air leak. When you pulled the filter was it brimming full of fuel? Try hooking up a line to the bypass on top of the filter housing and running that into a bucket and cranking the motor over to see if the lift pump is drawing fuel to the fuel filter. It certainly sounds like a fuel starvation problem.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Water=no no, not knowing how much of it is in the tank is worst so drooping it and draining it is a good idea. A high dose of power service and fresh fuel will help hopefully no damage was done.

Oh and cracking over and over could also be air in the fuel lines so depending on the fuel lines age I would plan o replacing them all.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you're already thinking about it, but a water in fuel filter is pretty handy for knowing when you need to drain off some water.

I would empty your filter, fill it with ATF or Power Service, see if you can get it started and pull some fuel off the filter drain (if you have one) into a clear glass jar and see what you have. You could also run an electric pump from where your mechanical pump is and pull some fuel out of each tank. You might have had some air intrusion on your filter head (pretty common problem) and if you're filter was dry, over 5 months you could have gotten some pretty good moisture to condense in the filter.

I hate it when you leave stuff idle for a while and the moths eat your best suit. My Grand National fuel system was a funky mess when I dropped the tank. Lots of orange funk and lots of stink :eek:

Good luck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That orange crap in the fuel filter along with the water is alge growth. You need to kill it and then change many fuel filters trying to get rid of the dead bugs. This is a tuff job ahead of you....

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you kill the algae whats the best way to get rid of this? I'm helping him with this truck as were good buddies

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
also idk if this plays in to my problem but is smeels horrible when running under the hood like a turkey barn

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also idk if this plays in to my problem but is smeels horrible when running under the hood like a turkey barn

You need to use a "biocide" fuel treatement to kill off the bacteria in your fuel system - the sooner the better.

Probably the best place to buy it might be a large truck place - i.e International dealer etc.

Also your whole fuel system should be gone over carefully.

Cheers and good luck.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I bought my biocide at TSC, Rural King has it too, or whatever your brand of tractor store you have around you.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
most pump shops wil carry a quality biocide. Mine carries Kill-em. Seriously good stuff. one jug of that is enough to treat an entire fuel station storage tank :eek: if that stuff doesn't do the trick, better get some dynamite :rotflmao

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u said 5 months at the shop? and body work?
usually wet sanding happens at some point if the gas cap was off to do inside the door and they were wetsanding theres now some could get in but not that much. id see if they filled it up or took the fillerneck off and parked it outside etc. they body shops in my area have a bad wrap parking water only cooled race cars outside in the midle of winter etc. so id suspect anything. also when it didnt start id think something was up and have them send it to a shop on thier dollar to get checked out. try a few diesel products that act like heat and evaporate water out of the fuel. but if the truck needed pull started they shoulda called you or something to at least let you know

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.