Truck doesn't like Overdrive when cold

plato

Reaction score
When I first go out in the morning and head to work, my truck ('97 PSD w/ E4OD) does not shift into OD until I come to a stop - either at a stop sign or traffic light. Then after that it shifts into OD at 40ish MPH and is fine the rest of the trip. Is this something done intentionally by the ECU to get the temps up?

Also, this morning was especially cold and the transmission was not happy. It just seemed like it was struggling when I first took off from my driveway then it was fine. What can I do to remedy this? I have ordered the recommended updated cooler lines & cooler and am awaiting a free moment to install them.

Please, let's not have the first reply be "needs a rebuild." EVERY E4OD thread I see gets that reply. Someone told me mine needed a rebuild when it wouldn't shift into OD, it was a bad brake light bulb. Glad I followed his advice cookoo

Thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm almost positive this a normal thing. I think its in overdrive, just an unlocked converter, to help heat up the trans fluid faster. The reason you stop and then it goes into overdrive is probably because the trans has gotten past that temperature threshold on that second acceleration.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Actually you have OD. You don't have converter lock up when cold.
The PCM will not allow the converter to lock until operating temp is reached. This is done so the tranny will warm up quicker.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TOT sensor "Transmission Oil Temperature" is part of the Solenoid pack, it prevents TC lockup and any PCM testing before the trans is up to a certain temp. My E4OD and 4R100 takes about 2 miles before lockup.

plato

Reaction score
This is my first automatic. What does TQ lock up actually do? Does it act like a shift point?

Thanks guys!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
What it does is mechanically lock the converter. Inside the converter there is a clutch Like on a standard shift. When the conditions are met the PCM will send a signal to energize the CCC solenoid. This will apply the converter clutch
You can make them act like a shift point, by playing with the pump.:D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's TC "Torque Convertor" not TQ, typo? Torque Convertor lockup is a clutch in the TC, just like a manual transmission clutch, it connects the engines crankshaft directly to the transmission, a torque convertor is a turbine that whirls the fluid around and forces another turbine to rotate that is connected to the transmission. When your in OD and the TC is not locked up, the slippage (RPM difference between the two TC turbine blades) reduces the RPM to the transmission by about 200 RPM. So when the TC clutch engages it's direct drive to the transmission, and thru the OD gearing, the output of the transmission is 1 RPM to every 3/4 RPM of the engine. Denoted as 1:75

papasmirf

Reaction score
My '97 F250 does the same thing. I'm not sure, but I believe it's only purpose is to allow the engine and transmission to reach a "normal" temperature and not allowing the engine to lug until it warms. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
All the E4's I have had did this to. When the TOT sensor goes bad however, it does the opposite. It locks up an shifts into OD very early, way to early. And as the trans heats up, it starts shifting normal again. had this happen on two E4's. Simple solenoid pack replacement did the trick both times.

Also, I like synthetic in autos, which may help them out in the cold...not sure but it probably won't harm it. I have limped worn out E4's for many miles on Valvoline synthetic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger