truck died

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday while going to the dump, my truck just completely lost power and died as I was trying to accelerate. My truck has a fuel/water seperator on the firewall with a plunger on it, and as I pump it, fuel was pouring out from around the filter. I threw a new filter on it, stopped the leak, and primed the system up to the other fuel filter using the primer. Now, with all the injector lines cracked and me cranking on it, its bubbling at all injectors and they are wet with fuel but it still won't start :dunno The lift pump is maybe 2 months old, and the injector pump is less than 3 weeks old. Am I doing something wrong? I've primed this thing a bunch of times and its never given me this much trouble, and those times I didn't know it had a primer. Help!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like your doing all the correct things to get the trapped air out of the system. You wont get the engine to fire off till you tighten the lines at the injectors. then it can build enough pressure to pop the injectors open. That usually is around 1800 lbs fuel pressure so be careful around that. It can get injected thru your skin and then you really are going to the hospital... Diesel floating around in your blood stream is not a good thing....

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I was just able to get it to pop...if I sit there with my foot on the floor it'll sound like it wants to fire off but just can't quite get there....probably doesnt help im down to 5 glow plugs and its like 31* here

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was saving that for last, I needed the extention cord for the battery charger :puke:
I was able to get it running, lots and lots and lots of priming...
on a side note, when I first drove it this afternoon once it was running, it felt like it had an extra 100 horse. I'm not kidding, I've never felt it so snappy. But once all the remaining air was worked out, it was back to its usual. How can I get that power back? lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That power comes from the air issues... What it does is advances the injection internal timing. It willl burn out your glow plug being that far advanced.....

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh okay. Well...truck made it from my parents house to mine (5 miles roughly) and I just went out to go to the store and it did the exact same thing that it did the other day and died. this time, I pumped the primer till I had fuel at the filter and cranked it till it started. The truck made it home but was running really roughly and smoking pretty bad. I'm starting to think my fuel pump went out again...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your lift pump runs off the cam, you have to be careful on how it's installed. The arm has to be under the cam, some newer ones have a straight arm, and you have to make sure it's under the cam. The older style arm is bent (dog leg) and they just go in easy.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this just happened to me.
it was water in the fuel and the water froze in my filter/seperator.
i had to tow her home.
i will NEVER leave the yard without a red bottle of power service 9*1*1 again!
that stuff is a merical in a bottle!

i simply poured some in my tank,let my electric fuel pump push this through my system for about 5 minutes and i was back in action!
that was a bad dose of fuel.got me all of 11 mpg-and no,i didn't plow at all on this fillup,and my truck must had lost 30-40 hp!
i wont be fueling up at that place again anytime soon.-not my normal fueling station.

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well maybe first thing tomorrow I'll delete the water seperator and see what happens. I'm back at my place with no battery charger so I only have one shot at this.