Truck being finicky about starting and running

VincentVega

Reaction score
Alright guys, here the deal. Truck has been running awesome lately. Just did the valve covers and oil cooler and everything went back together great. Came out this morning and the truck turned on like any other morning. Drove to school and was leaving after my second class, started up just normal idled for a second and died right as I started to back up. Though maybe too much clutch or something so I went to turn it back on and nothing. Tried a couple times and still no juice. Popped the hood, poked around at all the exposed electrical and didnt see anything that raised any red flags, tapped the fuel filter a few times, tried again and it started. Drove home, did some errands and it ran fine. I was turning through an intersection at school and it just shut down. No stumble, no loss of power. Almost like I tossed the key backwards. I pushed it down the road and into the lot outside the parking deck. Will turn over hard as can be but will not start. What I've noticed is that when it wont start the WTS light will NOT come on. When it does start, the WTS light kicks on like normal.

New parts include: fuel pump, starter, glow plugs, ignition tumbler, actuator arm inside steering column, and starter solenoid relay.

Currently stuck at school with no other car as this truck is my daily. Any and all help would be awesome. Thanks guys.

1989 F350 7.3 idi w/ ATS Turbo

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn the key on and unplug the front prong on top of the injection pump, you should hear a defined click when you plug it back in. If you don’t, or if that connection is loose, start there.

VincentVega

Reaction score
Got a picture? I've unplugged the three easiest plugs to get to and no definite clicks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get it home, you can jump power to that prong and it will start so you can get where you need to be. If you have time to trouble shoot I can upload the schematics for the ignition circuit.

VincentVega

Reaction score
Wiring schematics would be super straight. How long can I run with the fuel shut off jumped with a hot wire? This truck is for real my only mode of transportation. Also, any idea about the WTS light?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry internet is real slow here in the shop. You can run it jumped as long as you need to, if you want to be safe you can put a 15 amp fuse inline. Most likely you have either a fusible link burnt up, an ignition switch issue, or the main engine connector on the passenger side of the engine is melted.

VincentVega

Reaction score
No worries man. Thank you for the ideas and diagrams. I'm about to get out of my last class for today so I'm going to go see what magic I can work here in just a few minutes. Will post updates as needed.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember, if you jump it to the battery, it will not shut off with the key. You will have to pop the hood and remove the wire. That solenoid is what allows the truck to run, or shut down, with the key. With a wire to the battery, it will run as long as it is connected.

My IDI has a wiring issue, and there is a toggle switch wired in the cab and out to the pump, and that's how I control the pump. That's not the only electrical issue, and the POS pot metal actuator in the column is broken, so the ignition is stuck in the "run" position. So I have to unhook the battery cables to power down the truck.

VincentVega

Reaction score
Heres the update:

A buddy and I went out to poke around on the truck together last night. It was doing the same thing with no WTS light and no start. I pulled the single wire at the top of the starter solenoid relay, plugged it back in and boom. Runs perfect. Glow plugs are back to operating like usual and the truck cranked great this morning.

I'm planning on doing a switch board for the truck so I'm just going to do the FSS switch inside the truck like you've got it and just roll with it like that. Will keep posting updates as needed.

Thanks again guys

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dollar says you’ve got a bad fusible link and messing with the wires allowed it to make contact. Be aware if that’s the case, the thing could die on you anytime like you shut the key off.