Troubles in Vegas

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might try doing this. You seem to have "made the trip" so far with problems now thinking its a plugged radiater. Why not run some coolant flush on the way home. Its cheaper than a plastic radiater you really don't want plus the cleaner may do the job after some miles taking it easy too. Might want to increase the consintration of the flush too. Might check what a radiater shop might have to say bout th best cleaner or find a truck stop and read whats on the cleaners there. I know muratic acid thats used in swimming pools will clean any cooling system of the mineral buildup you might have in the tubes. The amount of consintration is still up in the air on this use but it surely works. If part way thru the trip you see the temps manageable find a rest stop. Drain the acid and refill with water. Then either replace the radiater when your home and flush it a few times just to make sure all the acid is out. then refill with coolant and this time use only distilled water. then you never ever have an issue with mineral dropout in or on the tubes again. If the temps calm down and you want to drive the rest of the way home with the flush or acid thats fine too.. Not much will happen to the radiater or the cast iron or any of the gaskets either.

Last edited:

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder what it would do to the aluminum heater core? I'll see what I can find as far as cleaners go.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, I am such an idiot. I should have ordered the stupid radiator Monday. They want an extra $100 to have it here tomorrow since NO ONE STOCKS ANYTHING! To be clear, I am referring to the Champion. I guess the T-stat, in combination with the cleaner, and maybe just washers on the hood hinges? Not sure if I can go through Cali with no hood.

I really just need to be more like my friend; If he thinks there is an issue, he replaces it. Period. Right now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Drive at nite. If day driving is needed cali has a 45 mph munimum spped limit on the freeways. No reason you can't drive at that spped all day long without temp issues. Might even be able to run 65 mph too.. Put some radiater flush in and go. The more you drive it the better it will get. Thats a fact. Its cleaning as you drive. Its not plugging up as you drive. It just gets better with miles of use.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The power is there, but I can't use it or the engine gets too hot. Sorry if that was unclear in the first post. The IP and injectors are just over a year old from OFI. Is your cooling system original?

Yeah, all original. It has been cleaned in the last couple of years, though.