Trouble with Ferret timing meter

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take ....

If led increases w rpm...signal is working and it i timing light.

Not sure what you meam in the above statement.

Use dash tach...have a bud hold 2 k....but right now that timing light is suspect to me.

Get timing tape and non adjustable light.

Read my timing articles....tons info in my tech 101's

Sorry, im sure my comment was confusing... I was thinking that the timing light turned on in time with the rpm's and if i dont have a reading I wasnt sure how to use it by just using the tach in the truck. But, i think you answered the question...maybe I need to use a non-advanced timing light with your method. I will have to watch the light to see if it does change with increasing the rpms...but I think it did. I really thought something was wrong with the gun too. But, others on here are using that same gun...and I went out and bought another brand gun others are using..( Innova) and still no rpms.

I did talk to Chris at Ferret..she did say something could be wrong with the meter and offered to send me a return authorization. I did try that pick up clamp on both sides of the loop on the ferret and both directions..lol.

Thing is...the timing is probably fine...but Id like to know what it is to be sure im within spec and I was planning on replacing the pump and injectors soon. So id like to make sure I can time the thing properly.

Thanks to everyone who is chimmed in to help. Looks like ive tried everything and Ill have to see if its a problem with the ferret. Any one close to southern MD/DC with a ferret?

Last edited:

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the output side of the ferret is not working (the loop). The LED flashing in time with engine speed means the pick up is working. Trying two timing lights suggests that the black box is NFG.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the output side of the ferret is not working (the loop). The LED flashing in time with engine speed means the pick up is working. Trying two timing lights suggests that the black box is NFG.

Agreed, I called Ferret/GXT and their customer service was great. They agree it could be a problem with the loop. So they are taking care of me. Ill let you all know what happens once I get this exchanged for another one.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive always had to have mine in the middle of the loop for it to pick up. Down near the box seems to act funky.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I got a new Ferret in the mail today...and this one works no problem. Going to start another thread with a question on my timing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726