Trouble with Ferret timing meter

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im using a actron 7529 like others here along with the 765-1 ferret timing meter on my 94 7.3l idi turbo. Im having trouble getting my gun to pick up the rpm's? I have tried the Ferret on cyl 1 and 4 with same results. Ive sanded and cleaned both the lines. The 765 black box is blinking red like it should and its consistent. Seems like my gun inductor pick up isnt working. I did try it on a gas engine and spark plug...and it did read the rpms. Both tools are brand new. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have the inductor pick up on the spark plug side of the loop on the 765. Im not sure what else to try. Im going to go grab a different timing and gun and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Dave

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried an another timing gun...but had same results...no rpms.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the arrow on the inductive pickup pointing toward the sparkplug tag on the Ferret loop ?

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the actron 7529 has an arrow on it...But I did try it every which way I could and multiple locations. The Innova timing gun did have an arrow...I pointed it towards the black box? I pretty sure I attached that thing all over the place...is there a specific way to attach to the 765? Such as between the spark plug tape and box or above the tape?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unhook the timing light from the loop,flip it (the clip,not the black box) upside down and try again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 72
  • index.png
    index.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 66

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO YOU have a dash tach? Have a friend hold 2k rpm

I was just reading your tech write up on water pumps.. Need to do that next. Um, does it work that way? I think im supposed to be able to hold down the advance/rpm button and the light will come on. There is strobe light feature button...but the mark seems to be all over the place when i do it that way and no rpms on the gun.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried a different timing gun with same results..no rpm pickup.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it must be the piezo clamp.try sliding it down the line closer to your ground clamp.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it must be the piezo clamp.try sliding it down the line closer to your ground clamp.

Yeah, I did try moving the clamp all up and down the 1 and 4 line. Doesn't make any sense. The red light on the ferret is blinking correctly like it is picking up the pulse correctly....very frustrating.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah when I had issues I flipped the timing light clamp on the inductive loop and it worked. So that was my suggestion also.

Sounds like there maybe issues with the ferret.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The spark plug end of the loop was mislabelled on my Ferret meter. The tech support guy was not helpful. I finally figured it out by flipping the inductive clamp over 180 degrees just for S&Gs. I had my clamp in the middle of the loop. I don't know if that matters. It really shouldn't. :dunno

After rereading the post i see you have tried that. ;P

The blinking light should follow the RPM. If it does, that means the piezo connection is working. :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just reading your tech write up on water pumps.. Need to do that next. Um, does it work that way? I think im supposed to be able to hold down the advance/rpm button and the light will come on. There is strobe light feature button...but the mark seems to be all over the place when i do it that way and no rpms on the gun.

My take ....

If led increases w rpm...signal is working and it i timing light.

Not sure what you meam in the above statement.

Use dash tach...have a bud hold 2 k....but right now that timing light is suspect to me.

Get timing tape and non adjustable light.

Read my timing articles....tons info in my tech 101's