Trouble starting

smokin90

Reaction score
I got another problem with a 1990 F-250 7.3l idi when its cold you have to crank it alot to get it started and then if you shut it off and let it sit for around 20mins- 2 hours it will do the same thing it sounds to me like the fuel is leaking down what do you all think :confused:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had a fuel leak, it would start right away and run for a second or two, quit, and then you would have to crank, crank. The fuel will leak down in the system except for the high pressure side going to the injectors, which will run the engine for a few seconds.

Do you have stinky white smoke coming out of the tailipipe when you are cranking and it won't start?

smokin90

Reaction score
If you had a fuel leak, it would start right away and run for a second or two, quit, and then you would have to crank, crank. The fuel will leak down in the system except for the high pressure side going to the injectors, which will run the engine for a few seconds.

Do you have stinky white smoke coming out of the tailipipe when you are cranking and it won't start?

yes it does smoke like that probly a glow plug problem then

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Misdiagnosis?

Or a battery/ starter problem, not fast enough? slow fire.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46332

Good luck, It starts very fast after the battery up-grades, I'm putting off the return line kit for now.

Before the G-31 up-grade, I did notice that if I parked nose downhill it started right away, as opposed to nose uphill, crank 20 sec. 2 times to start

Glad I have the return line kit in hand, wanna wait for new injectors now.

Check my vid for the sound of the starter, gotta be fast or no go!

Good luck,

LCjeff