trouble shotting ready to blow up truck

crazybandb

Reaction score
the check engine light is on the truck runs ok when check engine light is out runs real bad.... it stops and its real hard to start it will start and stall, start and stall after about 10 tries to start it will run and it will run fine..i think its electrical or computer problem, not fuel problem.....what is some of the signs of an electical fuel petel going out?? or would it be the computer with the electric trany that when it stalls when you put it in drive..its not all the time when you put it in drive..... need help fast......the truck is 1997 chevy 6.5 dullie 3500

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the codes with a scanner....can't help you without the exact codes...

crazybandb

Reaction score
with light on it run great when light goes out when i have troubler

crazybandb

Reaction score
found the problem it was with fuel....enjector pump ....there is a quarter size ...two to three inches tall leaking right at bottom of it is this part removable with pulling the pump..... if it is removable .... can someone tell me how

rubberfish

Reaction score
Get the codes read and hope you
have enough money to replace the pump.
Not what you want to hear, but that's my guess.

crazybandb

Reaction score
the O-ring went bad on fuel shut off solenoid , have to wait intell tuesday get one

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the FSOL is replaceable.....you can get them at SS Diesel or any Stanadyne retailer...

crazybandb

Reaction score
i was looking at FSOL it looks like all need to do to replace it is a hex key or is there more to it

crazybandb

Reaction score
ok got my truck scan today at autozone he what they gave me

1) su129.......... turbocharger boost sensor

2) injection timing
control curcuit malfunction

now my ? is will this make your truck stall and hard starting and the other thing is where do i fine these injection timing cotrol unit and the boost sensor. sorry dont know much about 6.5 had truck 3 yrs now never had to do anything to it .......... 97 3500 with 143,000 miles on it....... need help the only thing we have to drive evey day and the wife drive it the most she put on 100 to 200 miles a day some times dont want her getting stick

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the exact code numbers????...

The boost sensor code is most likely caused by a bad wastegate solenoid (located on a bracket above the back of the driver's side head with vac tubes running to it), or a bad vac pump, or bad vac lines...should have 25" of vac from the pump to the solenoid and 15" after the solenoid to the actuator on the wg of the turbo....(follow the lines)...

Stalling and hard starting can be caused by a bad PMD - usually fails without codes but is still a possibility....could really use the actual code given on the injection timing problem to help you further...

crazybandb

Reaction score
ok got the codes

code po216
code po236
and then read code po216 again

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the history on the truck? IP replaced lately? If so, IP may need to be rotated

P0216 usually indicates a fault in the optic sensor or the wiring running to the sensor....do you have a filter harness? If so, take it off and see what happens...

Also - the helms manual states the following:

DTC P0216 - Injection Timing Control Circuit
Conditions for setting it:
1. Engine speed has not changed more than 56 RPM for 20.8 seconds.
2. A 5 degree difference between actual injection time and desired injection time.

Possible Cause:
1. A hard start and possible poor performance condition might exist. The actual injection time will freeze at the point of the fault.
2. Injection timing is not properly set.

Deeper issues include:
1. Short in coil at PCM harness
2. Injection pump stepper motor electrical connection faulty
3. Crankshaft position sensor electrical connection short or faulty sensor
4. Bad injection pump
5. Bad PCM

I know folks who have cleared this code by cleaning up their battery connections and/or replacing old batteries in their truck...

P0236 is the wastegate code - I have already given you advice on that one in my previous post...

Hope that helps...

crazybandb

Reaction score
ok got new batterys in truck . not worry about turbo right now i am worry if i have pump problem ? i have to keep this truck running so my other half to et to docs. every day sorry i just dont know about these compters engines some time i wish i kept my old ford 6.9 it was easy to troublem shoot:confused:

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get a scanner on the truck to read actual and desired timing...

Make sure all wiring connections running to the IP are in good shape and not pinched or cut...that goes for the CPS as well...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7