Trouble in an IDI paradise

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this story revolves around Bob and Barry

Bob: 1987 7.3 C-6 4x4 paid $750 unknown mileage

Barry: 1993 7.3 ZF 2x4 Dually Crew paid $1,000 149,*** mileage

Bob, quart of oil every 12 miles. put new CDR in, no change.

Barry has gone 20 miles, still in the "did I just waste $1000?" mode.

Barry was smoky, had a runaway IP.. and by the time we got home, no Oil Pressure gauge.

Lots of smoke, both black, and lighter. Large over head camper, took him down to second on a nothing hill, his 69 Chev 1 ton with 3 ton in the dump bed, Spicer 5 speed, and 366 from a Bus, only has to change for 5h to 4th on that hill at 50. we crested the top at 18 in second.

where do I start on Barry's? needs a return line kit, that will be a small part of it, but by small, I mean miniscule, 2-3 injector return cups are moist, not gushing.

ANd Bobs is just intermittently smoky, at times, ya can't see the ass of the truck following, others, clean as any IDI.

Mine runs so damn well, I am not in Diganostic mode, and can't get that process started... Help jog my memory!

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check valve covers and head gaskets for leaks
any oil in other spots? coolant exhaust etc.
check valve stem seals remember these engines burn any oil in the cyilnder as fuel
im so confused how you listed it all so maybe make it 2 defferent posts (same topic) for stupid me

but a qt every 12 miles damn youd see that pouring out of the motor so im assuming internal oil in water or in exhaust

barry have oil?
is that truck leaking too?
man im confused which did wat and wheres the chevy come in is that the weight to keep it smoking?

hope i helped but better formatted info would be nice

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check valve covers and head gaskets for leaks
any oil in other spots? coolant exhaust etc.
check valve stem seals remember these engines burn any oil in the cyilnder as fuel
im so confused how you listed it all so maybe make it 2 defferent posts (same topic) for stupid me

but a qt every 12 miles damn youd see that pouring out of the motor so im assuming internal oil in water or in exhaust

barry have oil?
is that truck leaking too?
man im confused which did wat and wheres the chevy come in is that the weight to keep it smoking?

hope i helped but better formatted info would be nice

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Barry has no oil pressure because he has burned it all out in the runaway mode. Engine may be toast. Fill with oil and restart with air cleaner off and something to block the air inlet ready to use. Runaway is usually a failed CDR, could be others.

Bob has bad valve cover gaskets, maybe a leaking oil cooler joint, too. Because it also smokes intermittently, my money is on missing valve cover gaskets. Or maybe missing valve covers.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
CDR valve sucking oil possibly will cause the intermittant...mine did it twice, fogged out a mile of county road. Replaced it and pulled the same load the same road 100 times with no smoke issues!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
are bob and barry gay? sorry. i am confused.

a qt every 12 miles?!?! bad valves or hole in piston?

do a comp test if u can.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah... Bob is father in law, Barry is Scooter Trash best friend.

Bob is retired Nazarene preacher, and Barry is just grade A *******.

In a good way I guess...

Back to mine running so well, I am not in diagnostic mode. Idaho standards for emissions are 20% pollutant, its an opacity test, I blew 6.9%.

We bought a comp tester for Bob's, just haven't got around to it. Never even thought about oil cooler, we are/will look into that. Putting batteries into Barry's (he drove home on mine last night, his, in my truck, wouldn't even ATTEMPT to kick Clyde over this AM), and filling with Oil, topping off H20, and going from there.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
OK, Barry had a runaway and no oil? And he now back to driving? Either the reportage was faulty or we have a communication problem. A runaway is usually the failure of the shutoff solenoid and/or CDR valve, resulting in the engine using lubricating oil for fuel, or draining the tank because there is no way to stop combustion. Since there was no oil pressure reported after the event, I assumed that there was a CDR failure, not IP shutoff solenoid.

Are we even in the neighborhood yet? Or was it just a bad day and Barry is right as rain now?

Check the SCAs while you are at it. A 93 for $1000 and some peculiarities says cavitation is always possible around the next corner. Stopping it is way easier than fixing it.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.. Barry is set to diagnose. Bob checks the oil every time before it makes its occasional 8 mile round trip to Lowes. Truck typically sits

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, Barry had a runaway and no oil? And he now back to driving?

We were driving home with the "new" truck. Hit a stop sign, went forward, I was following. Biggest Gawddamm clod of smoke I have seen in my life, and impressive acceleration for a N/A truck, then he pulled over. about hit the poor fawker, as the smoke covered his entire ass, including lights, and any reflectivity of the white of the camper by my head lights.

I asked what happened, he said it just took off, WOT, no foot feed required.

He then killed it. We couldn't get it to re-start, batteries are junk.

I swapped in my batteries, fired, drove home, acted normal, little smoky, and a little gutless.

We get to his place, he stops, says, wanna go up the road and back, to see what you think, sure, why not I say. I crawl behind the wheel, first thing I notice was no oil pressure. He said ? Couldn't really see it in the dark, didn't realize it was oil (bulbs on that side of the cluster are shot, and the rest aint nothing to brag about).

I say, well, thats not a gauge, so much, as it is an idiot light with a needle. From the reading I have done, if you have 4.5 psi, it reads normal, if you have more than 7.5 psi, you will never know, as it still reads normal. If that doesn't read, than you less than 5 psi of oil pressure. we killed the truck, hopped back in Clyde and came back to my place, where he got in his Nissan and drove home.

The sum total distance that IDI of his traveled last night, was MAYBE 20 miles, 3 to town for fuel, 15 ish back to to his place.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Now we're getting somewhere. He killed it? How? Turn off the key, cover the air inlet, bazooka?

It is sounding like a throttle cable kink or linkage problem if you were able to restart it and drive normally later. Maybe the cold start went haywire.

No oil pressure reading is not much of a problem to these engines for short amounts of time, they live on volume.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If an IDI runs away it's usually something to do with the injection pumped being screwed internally but if it's using a quart every 12 miles then that makes sense that it would be ingesting the oil and running away on that. It would pretty much have to be that bad for an oil fueled runaway like in the old Detroits. I've seen some real tired IDIs burn about 6 quarts per 200 miles according to the owner and they still ran well and didn't smoke excessively nor try to runaway.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
My 6.9 used 6 gallons of motor oil in 350 miles, getting home from the rally. It had a known good cdr. As far as smoke, lets just say that no one who lived along the PA turnpike had an issue with mosquitoes that night.

My issue was badly worn/deformed pistons.