Trip Calif. US395

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making a trip from Lake Elsinore CA to Reno NV (actually Gardnerville) towing a 25' GN with my 99 F350. Map Quest shows the route up US395, route shows 440 miles that way. Just wondering how that route would be, instead of going up I-5 to I-80 then down to Gardnerville .

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'd better take a look at the route on a topo map.
there's some serious grades there along the way.
i used to run 395 when avoiding scales was necessary.
not something I would do if there was an alternative.
check out the section from north of sonora pass.
are you running loaded or empty?
i have a guy needing a quote for a 3/4t reg cab 4x4 from san jose to just outside nyc.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat; Thanks for the info. I'm going empty up that way to Gardnerville. Going to pickup a 1919 Case 15-27 tractor, 2-barrels of parts and a 3-bottom plow, just outside of Gardnerville and taking it to Waconia Minnesota,taking I-80 across to MN, then maybe a F150 from Hutchingson MN to Erie PA. I'll take a look at a topo map. I do have the TC lockup mod for braking, worked great down to 40 MPH when I went up to Alaska last summer pulling a 35' 5er. Had alot of 7-8-9% grades there.
Hauled an F350 700 miles from Greenville SC to Ohio with 2 bad injectors, man did I black smoke her all the way, truckers were saying, look at that guy smoke , if we did that be a ticket for sure. :D

You must be registered for see images

MMeier

Reaction score
You should be fine, just keep 'er at 55, especially when coming up on those small towns along there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Going north on 395 won't be a big problem empty, it will actually be easier climbing than to go I5 to I80 as you will get up on high desert and stay there most of the way. One good hard pull at Sherwin grade north of Bishop then you are up running high country at a pretty steady altitude the rest of the way. Back when I had a big truck I always went 395 between LA and WA . It was faster and used a ton less fuel than going I-5

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch out for them 25 mph speed traps. But looking at the post dates I'd guess you already did the trip.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's. The trip was without any incidents, like the DOT checking me out thru all the States, even passed a couple of scales that said all trucks must enter, zipped right on by, OH-IN-MO-OK-TX-NM-AZ-CA-NV-ID-UT-WY-IA-MN-IL, TOTAL of 5980 miles RT., gross weight out to CA was 19,990, averaged 11.6 MPG. Picked up the tractor, plow and parts in Gardnerville Nevada. Gross load was 21,680, delivered to Waconia Minnesota. Drove the 700 miles home from MN in one shot, got off of I-80 too soon to go on US30, 40 miles of stop lights, what a *****

MPG overall avg. was 11.9.

Only trouble was when the son-in-law was driving and cut to short and hit a light pole base going into a restaurant with the trailer wheel, sheared off the spring bolt and the tire rubbed on a zert fitting slicing the sidewall of the tire. $165 for new tire and $1.20 for the bolt at Ace hardware. Sure was a lot of fun fixing it in the rain in Plainville IN.-cuss :mad:

Will post pics later.

Last edited:

RedTruck

Reaction score
Bill,

Except for some really poor internet pictures Mike had, this is the first I've seen it. I'm hoping to get over there this weekend to see it in person. He's hoping to have it running in a month. If you would like a picture of it on the ground I can get you one. Thanks again for all of your help. It's sure been a blessing to us.

Paul

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill,

Except for some really poor internet pictures Mike had, this is the first I've seen it. I'm hoping to get over there this weekend to see it in person. He's hoping to have it running in a month. If you would like a picture of it on the ground I can get you one. Thanks again for all of your help. It's sure been a blessing to us.

Paul

Hi Paul: Sure would like a pic of the tractor on the ground, whenever you can.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online