Trash in Fuel Tanks

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i finally got around to pulling my sending units over the weekend, and while i expected to find stuff in the tanks, it wasnt what i expected.

i expected there to be a rubber line, or at least of one, on the bottom of the pickup hard line. there was nothing to indicate that there had ever been anything there.

there was, however, a lot of other stuff in them. there was some type of black plastic stuff in both tanks, a screen in the front tank, and what i believe to a one way valve in both tanks.

judging by the looks of the plastic pieces, i think they may have gone on the inside end of the breather lines as a roll over valve or something.

i will be removing all the pieces, but what should i do about the screen and valves?

You must be registered for see images attach

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looks to me like your original pickup fell apart and scattered all over the tank...pretty common.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was under the impression that the pickup tubes had rubber extension tube that ran to the bottom of the tank. if thats what these pieces are, there isnt a problem. but what functionality did the little valves serve?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those white valve pieces are whats left of the roll over valves.... Seems someone either broke them off trying to remove them or just pushed them into the tanks. The other black plastic is the fuel pickups. Just add some fuel rated 3/8 hose to the bottom of the fuel pickup tube. About 3 or 4 inches will do fine. Test fit it till you get what you want. Some guys like a long piece that lays down flat on the bottom of the tank. I don't. It might turn up well above the low level of fuel in the tank. Then your back to leaving a 1/4 tank of unused fuel in the tank just like before. If you measure and test fit the hose you can get it cut right at the floor of the tank. Then cut a V in the bottom so it wont suck tight to the bottom of the tank....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Or you could be a showoff and make a replacement fitting like I did. The hose will work just fine. The pickup tube ends almost exactly 2 inches from the bottom of the tank, so you can measure, or slip the hose on the end of the tube without a clamp in place and let the tank push it into position by placing the sending unit back into the tank. Then pull out the sending unit, clamp it tight and away you go.

Attachments

• pickup 1.JPG
    pickup 1.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 7
  • pickup2.JPG
    pickup2.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 8
  • pickup3.JPG
    pickup3.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 9

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Showoff is right.
I didn't say they weren't well made or a good idea, though

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Be 110% certain that you got all the little pieces of the shower head out of the tank.....if not be prepared to have it wreck havoc on the fuel tank selector valve if a piece gets sucked up. This happened to me right after installing my turbo....somehow for over a year I didnt put two and two together that it was the pieces of the shower head....lame.

Thad

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if only i had access to a mill and lathe, i would cut a set of those in a heartbeat. are you planning to mount any type of filter in your's or just leave it open?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I installed it as soon as it was made, no filter screen, no rollover valve. the (rear) tank was already out, so I had all the crap cleared.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle